Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > General > The Katana > Creativity corner

Creativity corner Share your creativity with the world, get some feedback, and so on.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Lesser Member

Letum is on a distinguished road
Default Discovering the arts of pen!

This is a help thread for those who have always thought it would be nice to draw.
For those who wait hours for bus to come, wait for appointment to start, wait for anything and find themselves playing Miniclip games and staring at wall while gaining nothing.

Now during those idle hours, you could be drawing and learning a new skill or perhaps finding a new passion!

I am no master when it comes to art, not even a novice, but when I've had a pen in hand I have most certainly doodled.

Depending on the variety of skill and interest I'm more than willing to give so to say homework and things to draw, techniques to try out and more.
A class kind of thing, with the exception you won't be graded here so nothing to fear.

With that, I and Yagyu are here to give a hand with either learning something new or becoming a bit better at doodling/drawing.

If you are interested post here along with a rough history on your level of skill when it comes to drawing with pen and what you would like to improve or learn.

Don't be afraid to give it a try at the least and hopefully, we will have a great journey ahead!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Yagyu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Discovering the arts of pen!

Well said letum, we will be happy to help anyone, we already got some amazing artists here, on the forums.

Zek with is coloring.
Suchi with her awesome cutesy anime styles.
and many others.

And thats the thing about art. Theres no RULE that says you have to draw like this person or in that style. You can use any existing style or even create one of your own. Art is all about being creative, making something new and unique. It can also be about duplication of what is out there. There are no set rules on what styles to use accept, use what you like, what you feel comfortable with, what you enjoy.

As you progress youll take more risks, step outside the comfort zone and begin to learn lots of new things. Youll find yourself drawing things you would never imagined you could have.

With styles comes tools.

Pencils, pens, markers, cryons, colord pencils, chalk, charcoal, graphite, paints.

For early penciling you will need the beginning tools of the trade.

Most art starts with the penciling.

For this you should have the following tools

HB pencil (theres 2hb -9hb but any hb will do they are the hard black lines)
2b pencil ( fine line but not as fine as the hb)
4b pencil (is very soft and very black)
6b pencil (is a thicker line)
0.7 mechanical pencil (best fine line)
2mm mechanical pencil (also a good fine line)

and finally the best secret in penciling.

The print invisible colored blue pencil.

The blue pencil is for what is called blue lining. We use this to draw out our main shapes and stuff because it is so light that when you get around to inking and scanning and printing it wont show.

You dont have to have all of those pencils, any pencil can do, but to really have a
unique and detailed picture id recommend taking advantage of the full arsenal.

By using the different pens you can get better dimensions in your drawing.

Id recommend trying 3 of them to start so u get an easy idea of how u can manipulate your drawing using the different sized pencils.

You can use standard lead, graphite, even water soluble pencils.

I personally like to use the graphite pencils, but you can never be the good old fashioned lead, the simple ones u can find in any store.

So Letum what pencils do you use and recommend because i see you use some unique types in your sketch book.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Lesser Member

I usually use ballpoint pens as those are most common in work environment and I tend to kidnap all pens i use >.>'

Though the one I use most is BPE-GP-F-BG or like i call it, the-best-freaking-pen-ever-made, It does pretty much everything I could ask from a pen, from light grey to pitch black. From thick to thin.

I got it from my aunt as birthday present (she just grabbed something and gave it to me) year or so ago and been using it since, using last inch of ink atm though : /

I doodle on pretty much any surface that holds the ink or in my sketchbook, been using this "model" (here) for years and can't complain at all, A6 size, paper is good, it's hard covered so no trouble there either.

I rarely do drawings with purpose though, imo the enjoyment of drawing disappears when you try to create something.
I improve if I improve and I draw what I like to draw, surreal faces (usually atleast) xD

Now guys, c'mon and hop along! (The treshold is really low, seriously :3)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Lesser Member

No replies as I expected ^^'
Idk if I've said this already (10 times?), but this isn't a serious business topic where pseudo artists compete with their awesome bs.

Just tag along, draw with whatever you want or can (actual factual pencils, MSpaint or w/e) and ENJOY!!!!!
Also post what you have drawn here so I won't feel like such a dumbass for doing this to no one. Plox.
__

Aaanyways, since it's summer time at work and nothing to do atm I made a super simple guide tutorial thingie for those who have little to no experience when it comes to drawing.

It was supposed to be all drawn with a pen, but I cba to do that so MSPaint saves the day again.
Also I did simple shadowing to the last pic with pencil and will scan that later today (quest completed, check the 2nd pic)

In addition to the obvious enjoyment of drawing a BALLFACE the point of this is to show that even though it looks pretty lame and boring with small addition such as shadowing you can make simple actually look kinda 'cool'.

Ok, to draw this you need a hand/mouth/leg, paper and a pen or a brush or a stick and a beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball face.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	2568   Click image for larger version

Name:	BallFaceSh.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	2569  

Last edited by Letum; 07-14-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:31 AM
Lesser Member

So today we'll practice drawing with pencilor if mouse is your choice then with mouse.

My father taught me this hand-eye coordination practice thing when I was really small and probably was trying to occupy me with something so I wouldn't be so annoying, but even so it has proven to be useful and you can make cool things and forms while practicing.

Again, I'll make a paint examples and then if time and human determination allows me then a hand drawn version will follow. (WTF 2nd time I finished the quest )

Ok, first start off with drawing a grid with 10x10 squares.
1: Draw a ball inside each square
2: Draw a 2x2 ball
3: Draw a 5x5 ball
4: Draw a 10x10 ball
5: Done!

Optionally you can then shadow each ball or curve all the sharp corners and make it look pretty damn smooth.

You can do a lot of things with the basic grid and the 1x1 balls so just experiment, have fun and as you can see my drawings are no where near perfect so no need to aim for perfection either

NOTE!! This is a free drawing practice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grid1.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	2580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grid2.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	2581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grid3.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	2582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grid4.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	2583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grid5.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	2584  

Name:	Grid.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	770.8 KB
ID:	2585  

Last edited by Letum; 07-15-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added handrawn pics
Old 07-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Lesser Member

3rd part of a guide which goes in a mixed order!

Today we'll try actually doodling and this is the "technique" I pretty much always use. I draw a 'clean' mess and then see what it looks like, maybe i'll see the outline of a face or maybe a enviroment? I'll start fleshing it out from the mess and in the end I'll have a picture which actually resembles something.

So I'll make a example of the mess with paint and then upload stuff i've fleshed out of that mess.
Basically like clouds, you know how someone says "Look, a dog!" and points at a cloud? You can find a lot of interesting forms from clouds. What we are doing is just making clouds on paper and wondering what it could look like and then drawing it out.

Though as you get more used to this you'll start finding surprisingly cool pictures from maybe a wall, bushes, grass and so on.

(So the mess is there and neither of the doodles actually looks amazing so they are good as they are, unfinished )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	doodle.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	749.6 KB
ID:	2669   Click image for larger version

Name:	doodle2.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	2670   Click image for larger version

Name:	doodlorig.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	2685  

Last edited by Letum; 07-20-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Lesser Member

What I demonstrated above would be the so to say goal of this lesson(?).

It was all dandy and whatever, but how could I possibly make anything like that?
Well, it's really simple to say the least. All you need is outlines, eye/eyes, mouth, nose and optional nostrils, eyebrows, hair.

The most important part in my opinion is eye/eyes. You don't need any of the other parts to make a face in one or another way if you have eye/eyes. But that's like saying you actually don't need all parts of car, only the wheels to move onwards.

Let's start with eyes regardless of the practical application now.

There is lots of different ways to draw an eye and I'll give some examples of them which we'll use in other parts aswell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eyes.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	834.2 KB
ID:	2686  

Last edited by Letum; 07-20-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Lesser Member

Mouths, can't think of anything to tell about em except they are vital part of a proper expression.

Scan here finally!

I also added Noses.
Next we'll do the outlines, where i'll further explain the usage of what i've posted, ohh and these serve as examples for if you don't already have a certain ways of drawing eyes, noses, mouths, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mouths.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	571.0 KB
ID:	2768   Click image for larger version

Name:	noses.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	2769  

Last edited by Letum; 07-23-2010 at 11:14 AM.