Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki > Role-playing

Role-playing Post stories, character descriptions, or role-play as your character here.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Ninjitsu Master

Zekeen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OOC for Yagyu RPG

Just a few things to touch up on, great lesson btw, real informative, I can't wait for some more people to post their sheets so we can start.

Have a few simple questions-

First off, player to player interaction, and just reference us to lesson 2 so ya don't make it too hard on ya.

(I'm gonna post the below stuff in an easier way at the bottom of the post)

Secondly - I love the whole fame point system. BUT I gotta know some stuff on scoring. Just simple stuff. Such as, what about overkill? Like say, you have a super powerful samurai, and a super weak foe, and you roll high and he rolls low. If you do like a super amount of dmg due to stats and weapon, and he has low hp, and end up doing 2 times or even 3 or more times his HP, would he suffer some sort of epic death? Like being cleaved in half. And if so, would you get heavy dose of fame for absolutly destroying your enemy? I would have to think you would since anything as terrifying as such a powerful person would easily spread rumors and fame. So just to ask more directly - does winning a roll with a REALLY big margin give us REALLY BIG fame points?

Another thing to ask on fame, will total fame accumulated change how our characters progress through the story, through being known by others and NPCS? Such as, if a character gets a bit of fame, will key villains know who they are? If a character got fame for partaking in a fight against a large band of well known bandits, would a character like Kotaru know about them from the rumors of their fame?

I think adding a recognition rule would be fun and help shape the story, and wouldn't be TOO complex, but I have a feeling you love complexity like me. It also wouldn't require numbers, estimations would work well enough (since you are controlling the key npcs and such).

Here is my proposal on various fame affects -
Epic Acts - acts of power, violence, self sacrifice, battle, ect. If you cut a man in two, rumors go about a swordsmen with unparrelled power. This would create intimidation to foes and may scare some. If you're compassionate, you can more easily get villagers and such to assist you (like a bonus to charisma).

Basic fame - doing deeds just makes you better known.

Social Class - A lord will have any fame magnified and be well known, while a samurai will get his rumors spread far and wide but a peasant will hardly be recognized even if he does the most amazing tasks. This will mean a character like Jubei will easily be known for what he has done, but peasant character like my own will be unrecognized. But say I do an epic task like cutting a man in two (or 6 men in 2.... I got the strength and the reach hehe), my character would STILL be unknown, even by Fuma ninja's (not even a ninja will look at a peasant as a threat unless they find a way to recognize him), BUT if my character's actions would be famous, so if he unsheathed his sword in front of bandits they would recognize the man with the nodachi who slices men in two.

And finally gotta ask about Charisma, I think small bonuses to charisma should be award by fame and social class. A peasant will be ignored and won't be able to get information (although he'd get a bonus from people who hate upper class, or rather, will not get a reduction). If a lord asks a peasant, the peasant will panic and answer, if a low life asks the peasant, he won't feel any need to oblige. And if fame assisted, say you are known for slaying bandits who plagued peasants, then a local peasant will look up to you more and you get a charisma bonus. And if a character is unrecognized for the feat, but somehow they reveal who they are (by performing another task in front of peasants, being recognized by a more observant character thus notifying the peasants, or showing a feature that is rumored for the act like unsheathing a special sword), then they can get the bonus.

So, for the easy to understand recap-

Does incredible feats in combat exist, and will they give a lot of fame, like cutting an enemy in half for doing enough dmg to kill 2 times over in one hit.

Let fame gives bonuses in charisma and actually make characters famous. Let social class depict if they become known or hidden on their deeds so a peasant must show proof of their fame, such as a unique item, skill, or re-enacting the famous moment (showing unmistakable skill), or they do not get recognized (except by massive fame). Let charisma be boosted by fame and social class where it applies, so a lord like Jubei would get more info by asking a peasant who knows and respects lords.

And you need to sleep more Yagyu, lol. Can't have ya burning out on us
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
The Savage Wolf

Svage is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Svage Send a message via Yahoo to Svage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagyu View Post
Well
We can buy things with these. They r like money in that way.
What can we buy with the Fame points?
Well we can purchase new skills, new abilities or even more level points to place on our attributes.

First I shall list the attribute costs
To buy one point in the following attributes you must spend the following amount of Fame points.
ATTRIBUTE COSTS
Constitution: 7
Strength: 15
Precision: 15
Speed: 10
Agility: 8
Luck: 6
Intelligence: 5
Charisma: 5
Stamina: 10
Attack: 25

These may change later but for now these are the prices. It depends on how balanced or unbalanced the system works out to be. Consider this the alpha testing lol

The next thing we can buy are the main skills:
SKILLS COSTS
Combat Skills:
Kenjitsu: 50
Ninjitsu: 75
Kempo: 60
Kyudo : 65
Unorthodox: 85

Non Combat Skills costs:
Blacksmith: 30
Sword smith: 40
Armor Smith: 45
Weapon Smith: 65
Leather Worker: 20
Tailor: 15
Architect: 75
Hunter: 50
Farmer: 15
Wood Cutter: 20
Merchant: 35
Cook: 10
Musician: 15
Medical: 100

The Final thing we can buy with Fame Points are the Abilities.
I will make a separate post with ability prices In my next big posting. Ive now been awake for 42 hours straight workin on all this stuff and am shot. Lol

So I hope this system works out and you all have fun.
My recomendation fro a point buy system from having played about as many RPG's as I have lived years (30 years old now) would be to make the cost something like (2x the current level), or 10+ the current level. THat allows players to up somehting they have very low, like if you don't know alot about something you can learn the basic quickly, but the more youknow the longer it takes to learn more.

In the first example: To up precision from 3 to 4 would cost 6 points, to up his stamina from 20 to 21 would cost 40 points

In the second example: to up Precision from 3 to 4 would cost 13 points, to up stamina from 20-21 would cost 30 points.

Or looking at those numbers, You could use one for abilities and one for skills. Or even mix and match, use one untill rank 15 in the stat, then the other at 16 and above

Just some Ideas that might be a bit easier, Especially if 25 fame will be typical of a chapter. But that is yet to be determined.
And I am always full of ideas on how to improve or chage someone elses work. That is why I rarely do any of my own.

-Warning-
I am out of prozac and patience, and I have a .357

(translated to fit in with T:LAW)
Be wary, I am lacking both in mood and patience, and my blade is both fast and sharp.

(edited to fit for Yama)
Your getting on my nerves, leave before I injure your inner child with my fist.

Short stories by ME
Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Ninjitsu Master

I think the fame buy system is good as is. It's simple, and doesn't complex it much. And at 25, it's not much per chapter. And at the current cost of skills and stats, it's VERY low. Imagine what character sheet he has drawn out for many opposing characters. Each stat is a +1 to a roll against characters who may or may not have better stats. Since you can't buy stats till you are invincible in this system, it balances out well. Making it cost over a whole chapter for a stat means that every month or so of RP, we get a stat of stanima at that rate. You can't develope if it takes forever to do a chapter (forum RPs ALWAYS take forever) and you only get a few stats after all that work. I say it needs to stay with the initical set up for now, see how it plays.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:43 AM

Yagyu is on a distinguished road

good points both of u but also remember, jubei played a near perfect game there. i figure the amount of fame points given could be anywhere from 10-30 a chapter. NOW here is the thing. The chapters are going to take some time to finish. Could be a month or 3 months. Depends on how many people play and how active they are.
NOW
Upon thinking about it i do think Svage has a point so
I think we can put a cap on how many attribute points you can purchase per chapter end.

Perhaps a total of 5 or 5 attributes points can be purchased for use.

Also remember if your putting alot of your points into attributes it will take you longer to buy new abilities as abilities WILL most also be purchased with the fame points.

depending on how long it takes for a player to level and how long the chapters are going i may give out more points or adjust the costs.

Also Akane if your reading this just post your character sheet in the yagyu clan social group since i can see your posts there. Ill talk to a mod and see why u cant post yet perhaps its just u need to be a member or a mod just needs to set it so u can post. Im not a mod YET but if Sykoi willing i may be one day lol.

also Zekeen good points i wont answer them yet i wish to consider them and meditate on them. Only after i have been enlightened shall the universe present its answers to me.

Ok i see u already did post it akane so i rolled it and here are the results.

Yagyu Akane Character Sheet

Name : Yagyu Akane
Profession : Samurai ( Jubei's little sister )
Level : 1
Fame : 0
Alignment : Good

Constitution : 15
Strength : 8
Precision : 3
Stamina : 8
Agility : 20
Luck : 6
Intelligence : 10
Charisma : 15
Speed : 15

Attack : 10

Combat Skills

Non Combat Skills

Skills
(you rolled an 8 on the d10 and a 3on the d3 choose 3 more abilities from either the kenjitsu tree or if u purchased another combat tree then one of those or a mix)
Diplomatic Bonus (+1d6 to Charisma)

Profile : Akane is a attractive young women who almost always wares her hair in a pony tail . she has a quite confidence about her and her eyes don't seem to miss much that goes on around her .

Personality : Honest and loyal Akane shows fierce determination in everything she does .

History :
Akane has always looked up to her big brother Jubei with almost hero worship . As a child she wanted to be like him so she practiced the sword and no sword at every opportunity . Called a tomboy by some she always felt that learning the sword was a birth right of one born of the Yagyu . Akane has also spent many hours by her fathers side as he has conducted the business of the Yagyu here she has learned to listen to what was said and not said and has help to make her very observant .

(Im sorry you rolled a 3 on the personalized ability roll. You wont be able to start with a personalized ability.)

Weapon Proficiency:
This is still needed so let me know what you wanna be an expert at.

Inventory
I will list your inventory once you choose a weapon prof.

Akane for now just post replies into the yagyu social groups until we get you being able to post normally.

OK now i also rolled Svages sheet

Svages Character Sheet

Name: Ryubara Yama
Profession: Samurai wanderer/ part time blacksmith
Level: 1
Fame: 0

Alignment: Good

Constitution:20
Strength:30
Precision:3
Speed:5
Luck:5
Agility:7
Intelligence:10
Charisma:5
Stamina:15

Skills:
Armor smith
Unorthodox
(you rolled a 2 on the d10 im sorry you wont start with an additional skill)

Abilities
Side swing (5/1d3)
Down swing (10/1d6)
Parry (3/1d3)
(you rolled an 8 on the d10 and a 1 on the 1d3 you can choose one extra ability in the Unorthidox tree.)
You rolled a 19 on the 1d20 u get one personalized skill but you dont get the second bonus chance.)
Stunning blow
Cost: 15
Roll a 1d10 if you roll equal to or lower then the percent of your strength opponents next action roll is -20.
(IE you roll a 2 your strength is 30, you are successfull. if u had rolled a 4 then you would have failed. Note Also you wouldnt be able to be successful with a 4 until your strength reached 40. its basically percentage im just too tired to properly word it lol)

Prficiency:
Tetsubo (All combat actions are -1 when Yama is using his Tetsubo)

Appearance: LARGE. Mostly Muscular. Tends to be head and shoulders taller than the crowd. Generally clean shaven and bald, but sometimes sports a goatee.

History: Ryubara Yama was very young when his family fell defending their lord’s castle. Only he and his younger Brother escaped. Yama was very protective of his brother who tended to get into trouble often. As the two boys grew the found they both had great talent in the martial arts. Especially Yama, whose immense strength and size give him an immediate psychological advantage over most of his opponents. After traveling the lands and in some areas even becoming local heroes, the two brothers eventually parted.

Inventory:
Equiped Items
Tetsubo (Damage 1d8 +2) (note we dont need intimidation im sure most ppl will be very sacred of u lol)
Very Worn Iron Chest plate (Med Armor bonus +10 hp covering torso)
Red Leather leggings (clothing bonus +3 hp covering legs)
Large Wooden bottle of Sake with rope (holds the sake with the rope and lets the bottle hang off his forearm.)

Small worn leather travel pack (space 15)
Large Brown Blanket (Smells like vomit and Sake and Sweat) (L)
Small Wooden Statue Carving (carved by yamas late father) (SM)
388 ryo (Travel money)

So svage make the necessary additions to your sheet and repost it.

Last edited by Yagyu; 02-27-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 AM
Ninjitsu Master

Talking Re: OOC for Yagyu RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagyu View Post

also Zekeen good points i wont answer them yet i wish to consider them and meditate on them. Only after i have been enlightened shall the universe present its answers to me.

Translation: "I just woke up and I need coffee and donuts"

Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 AM

Actually i cant abide the taste of coffee (i know im wierd) and i avoid donuts cuz i dont wanna get fat (blasted strict protien diet) lol
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Ninjitsu Master

hehe, I can't stand coffee myself, but I'm almost underweight so I need donuts (I'm incredibly big in RL, 6'4" and broad, so I have too much distribution hehe

And I gotta laugh at Svage's character. I'm like laughing REAL hard, because it's like the alternative of my character. Each are really big intimidating guys with ungodly strength. I'm a sword smith, he's an armor smith. I use the unusual Nodachi, he uses the unusual Tetsubo. Both are orphans. Both have personal skills to change a foe's response, one to reduce, one to slow down. And we both have the charisma of a drunken raccoon pillaging your trash.

The differences I see are that he has a bit more endurance and strength than me, while my character has better reaction and speed. While is a good indication of the difference of weapon types since my guy is technically a swordsman. I'd probably say if in a head to head battle, Svage would have a little more of an edge against me hehe.

What would be scary would be to imagine both these characters facing the same enemy...... two giants..... gigantic brutish weapons... Fuma ninja's would be rolling for initiative to run away screaming like little school girls.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM

lol possibly unless of course you come face to face with Kotaro himself. Then you guys might be the ones screamin like girls...er fat ladies lol

I plan on giving everyone opponents that will be a good challenge (not unbeatable) but a definite challenge to overcome. You dont see it but as you and your characters all level so do the npcs.

And as you will find out many of you players will possibly end up getting your own arch rivals.

Funny thought occurred to me in my meditations

What happens if someone goes ahead and creates either the Hojo Clan or the Fuma Clan.

Well if that happens we automatically have our enemy clan lol.

Well see what happens. Maybe thru sheer good story telling and roll playing some new reader will decide they want to be our rivals. Perhaps they enjoyed the story and wanted to be part of or legend or they loved kotaro and the fuma ninja or the scheming Hojo.

Ah well we can hope.

Those are the only two clans i could see us going to war with.
So far we are on good terms with the other clans.

And our brother clan the Ryubara makes the Yagyu/Ryubara alliance a very intimidated and formidable force to take on.

Im still meditating on those questions zek lol
honestly i just woke up and im goin to go back to bed lol need to catch up on about 3 or 4 days of no sleep.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
The Savage Wolf

Svage is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Svage Send a message via Yahoo to Svage

Yama would enjoy seeing someone nearly as big and strong as him. He wold have all kinds of fun challenging your guy to contests. He wouldn't care who won, as long as he had fun. Kind of like a really big kid.

Yama has been one of my pet character concepts for quite a while. I just made him an orphan because I didn't want to deal with his family. it also gave him a storyline I could write a bit on. It seems all my short storeis are gone, so I will have to rewrite the ones I had on Yama. Take into account he was originally created for The Legend of the Five Rings RPG, and was used in a L5R online RPG as well, so that is where many of his stories are from. I'll post both the Fantasy versions and the Real world variants here as I get them rewritten. I already discussed with Yagyu how to alter one of them. The others are not quite as fantastic (fantasy based) as the original I wrote.

Edit: ok, so where do we post our CHaracter sheets? here? or inthe yagyu RPG forum?

Double edit: can we take the same combat skill more than once for a +1 bonus to it? THat would be more what Yama would do. Like increase parry by +1 or something. He like parry cause it take less movement. and at his size, every movement is a big movement.

-Warning-
I am out of prozac and patience, and I have a .357

(translated to fit in with T:LAW)
Be wary, I am lacking both in mood and patience, and my blade is both fast and sharp.

(edited to fit for Yama)
Your getting on my nerves, leave before I injure your inner child with my fist.

Short stories by ME
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Ninjitsu Master

you post your character sheets here.

And as far as parry increasing, you don't +1 to your skill, you add to the statistic that it's based on. If you wanna parry, you increase agility I believe. So if you have parry, and add a few points to agility, each one will be a +whatever to your rolls. Although I guess a +1 to parry would give some interesting benefits (lower action cost?) so who knows.

And my character would probably accept any challenge just to test his mettle.

And I meant normal Fuma ninja's Yagyu... not Kotaru lol. I doubt he'd be scared of much at all, if even anything. Ninja's are impossible to scare, so I just wanna terrorize the basic one en-masse. Would be running scared from Kotaru though, although I know I could NEVER win (or want to, it's Jubei's nemesis). I would try to lop off an arm however hehe.

And I'm really perplexed as to what kind of arch rival my character could get, since no upper class would rival a peasant who barely does anything and my character would not allow himself to be rivaled by a simple thug or minion. So, I'm getting more excited to start this off and see what paths everyone goes on. Can't wait to see how the story developes Yagyu!