Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki > Role-playing

Role-playing Post stories, character descriptions, or role-play as your character here.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 AM
ケーキはうそだ

Senshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Senshi Send a message via MSN to Senshi
Default Katame Saru - Chapter One: The Emperor's City

The story resulting from this roleplay series will be used by the Tatsumaki Anime Project.
It is not related to the 1963 manga by Mitsuteru Yokoyama

Everyone is welcome to join in as long as they obey the forum and roleplaying rules. and use OOC tags for out of character statements.

This story is of a quest for a sword. The Katana named "Katame Saru" or the "One-Eyed Monkey". It was forged by the great smith Akitsugu Ozawa. According to legend, it was so sharp, that with enough strength, one could cut a tree down in one stroke. The blade's name came from what it was first tested on. Ozawa chose to test it on a monkey since he despised them, and it was right outside his home at the time. The monkey managed to dodge the first slash, but lost his eye to the second, and then ran away. The next day, after Ozawa sold the blade, he died when his house burned down, and it was believed to be caused by the monkey as his revenge. The second owner, who was the head of the Hidematsu Clan, died in another fire, caused when he drunkenly knocked over an oil lamp. These two fires convinced some to believe that the sword was cursed, and it disappeared. In spite of that, the blade is still highly sought after.

-This chapter takes place in the city of Kyoto.-

A young samurai stepped outside of a bustling inn in the Emperor's city, Kyoto. He wore an expression of disappointment, for he was looking for information, and had found none so far. His name was Kumamoto Nobuo, and he was searching for the legendary blade called 'Katame Saru'. He was dressed as a lowly Kumamoto samurai, but he was actually the Daimyo of Kinogasa, Kumamoto's province. He disliked the idea of sending someone else to search for the blade, but liked the idea of getting out of the castle. So he decided to search for it himself. He disguised himself, and left his brother Jiro in charge.

My character's name was originally Kumamoto Jouke, but I don't think that Jouke was a real name, so I changed it to Nobuo

Nobuo continued to walk down the street until he came across a store that sold swords to samurai. He went in and inquired about the Katame Saru, and the shop owner presented him with a ornate looking sword, and claimed it to be the blade that he was looking for. It was the combination of how beautiful the katana was, and the amount of saké that Nobuo drank that caused him to immediately purchase it. He walked out of the city with a grin on his face, and he suddenly got the idea to test the blade out for the first time. He walked to the nearest bamboo stalk and slashed at it. Lo and behold, the blade broke instantly, leaving the upper half wedged halfway into the stalk. To be sure that it was the blade, and not the stalk, he used his normal sword, which cut down the stalk instantly. "Damn," Nobuo exclaimed,"the bastard sold me a cheap piece of metal." And with that, he ran back into the city to get his money back.

Kumamoto Leader \ Former Meitochi.com Owner
Forum Moderator \ Tatsumaki Anime Director

Go: Kumamoto Clan | Info & Joining Kumamoto
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Sculpted from Awesomeness

Vahn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vahn Send a message via MSN to Vahn
Default Re: Katame Saru - Chapter One: The Emperor's City

Makoto Kumamoto stepped into the city, Nobuo within his sights ahead. Doing his best to blend in amongst the crowd he followed Nobuo. Apparently Nobuo's brother Jiro was worried about him. He had called Makoto to his side to ask that he keep an eye on Nobuo. Makoto was not rich to begin with, so he had simply to don his old clothing which bore no clan markings, and set out after his Daimyo.

He saw Nobuo step into a sword smith's shop. Edging closer to the door but directing his attention-focus elsewhere, he listened. He had arrived late into the conversation. Apparently Nobuo was making a purchase, and seemed quite happy about it. Happy, the way a man gets after too much sake. Makoto had a bad feeling about this. Hearing Nobuo stepping back into his sandals to depart the store, Makoto quickly moved a few paces away and stepped into the inn next door. Peering through the window slats, he saw Nobuo walk off toward the edge of town, a slight stumble in his step. Sake, indeed.

Makoto left the inn and stepped into the sword smith's shop. After a casual exchange of an amiable nature, he inquired about the samurai who had just purchased a sword here. The sword smith explained how he had just sold the Katame Saru to that gentleman. The name meant nothing to Makoto, but knew the sword smith was lying by the way he shifted uncomfortably when he named the blade. There would be a problem as soon as Nobuo realized he had been cheated.

When Jiro had called him to his side and asked him to follow Nobuo, Makoto had immediately accepted but expressed concern over how he might approach this task. It was not acceptable to act a spy to one's Daimyo. After some thought, Jiro decided he would temporarily assign Makoto as yojimbo, or bodyguard, to Nobuo. The only catch, was that the assignment would be to act as an Unknown Yojimbo. This, Makoto could accept. The payment he had been given by Jiro in order to make the assignment official was slightly more than the amount Nobuo had paid for the sword...

Makoto leaned across the divide between them and grabbed the sword smith by the collar of his jimbe. Handing him his money, he told the sword smith that he would refund Nobuo entirely with this money. He would keep the money he was paid, but in exchange would tell Nobuo everything he knew about the legend of the Katame Saru, and never lie to the Kumamoto clan again. Hastily, seeing the cold truth in Makoto's eyes, the sword smith agreed.

Makoto could hear Nobuo's drunken approach, and quickly slipped out of the shop and back into the inn as he passed.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:00 AM
ケーキはうそだ

Nobuo returned to the shop of the merchant who sold him the cheap sword, which the owner claimed to be the legendary sword, Katame Saru. As he walked in, the merchant tossed him a sack of coins with a note attached to it, and scurried off. "That was easy," Nobuo said to himself. He started to count the coins, and discovered that it was only a third of what he originally paid, and started to browse the rest of the merchant's wares. He found flint, a bow, some arrows, a few lengths of rope, and a set of knives. Nobuo decided to take those items to make up for the other two thirds of what he had paid.

He walked back into the street and headed back to the inn. He sat down and started to read the note given to him by the merchant. The note said, "I have heard that the sword is to be given away at a secret Iaidō tournament in the woods outside of the city. To participate, you must know the secret word, 'Red Moon'." As he finished reading the note, he looked up and saw a familiar face. He started to walk over to the person, when he accidentally bumped into another person, which knocked the note out of his hand. But Nobuo didn't notice, and continued to walk over to the person.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 AM

Makoto was talking to the owner of the inn - an aging, squat woman with a jolly laugh and a fierce command of her employees when he noticed Nobuo enter. Much heavier clad in armaments than he had been previously, he could only assume that Nobuo felt it within his right for being cheated to compensate himself as he saw fit. He hoped he hadn't ruined the sword smith's finances with what he took, but decided in the end that whatever happened to the sword smith's finances, it was well deserved.

While continuing his conversation he eyed Nobuo, who had taken a seat on the step where Makoto and the other customers had left their sandals. Nobuo seemed to be reading.

Knowing he would be recognized eventually and would only draw more attention if he made an effort to hide, he bowed to the inn's owner and started making his way toward Nobuo - just in time, as Nobuo looked up and recognized him. Makoto wondered if that note was from the sword smith, and if it contained the information Nobuo desired. Alternately, it could just as well be a note informing Nobuo of a "spy" following him.

As luck would have it, Nobuo dropped the note as he brushed shoulders with a customer, and didn't seem to notice the note leave his hands - perfect. Makoto reached Nobuo, and in deference to his lord stepped down a level to bow. In the process of stepping down he managed to place his foot over the dropped note...

"Kumamoto-sama, konnichiwa! I was passing by when I recognized the innkeeper. It seems I knew her when I was a boy."

This was not a lie. In Makoto's travels after his families death, he had bumped into a then much younger and unmarried woman who would later inherit this inn. While neither of them remembered this, he needed an alibi. Makoto looked past Nobuo energetically and smiled at the innkeeper, hoping she would show some recognition from their recent conversation to validate his claim of acquaintance. The innkeeper smiled warmly at Makoto and bowed, before turning to help a customer.

"I must confess I am surprised to bump into you here. What brings you to this inn my lord?"
Old 07-11-2007, 01:56 AM
ケーキはうそだ

"No one is supposed to know that I am here, just act like I am an ordinary Kumamoto samurai," Nobuo said, "I noticed that there was someone who was following me, and if more people know that I am here, that will certainly attract more spies." Nobuo sighed. "Anyway, I am searching for the blade called Katame Saru."

Old 07-11-2007, 02:02 AM

"Katame Saru... That blade is cursed, I hear."

Realizing what he just said, he quickly mutters an apology: "Ah, forgive me, I did not mean to suggest you would be searching for a curse. It is only a legend anyway, and I don't know much about it. If there is any way I might assist you, please do not hesitate to ask."

With that, Makoto leans down to pick up his sandals and the note. Seeing as Nobuo did not hide his quest from him, he hands the note back to his lord. "It seems you dropped this, dozo."
Old 07-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Governess of kumamoto

yuir is on a distinguished road

suddenly a scruffy looking girl in her late teens run into the inn looks around for a second see a man sitting at a table carrying sword then runs up and hugs him

onee-san, onee-san, help me there are these bad men after me, they are trying to hurt your Little sister

just as she said that 3 large angry looking men come into inn

ha ha you guy are out of luck this is my big brother and he says, he going to beat you all up all by him self, so you better leave before he gets mad or else

((hay mr, good luck by the way i hope you survive, yer kind of cute))

the scruffy looking girl quickly jumps up and heads into the kitchen and out the back door leaving a very confused man sitting at a table and 3 very angry man heading towards him

隈元 由利 Kumamoto Yuir Kumamoto clan now recruiting
Old 07-11-2007, 02:33 AM
ケーキはうそだ

"I don't need the note," said Nobuo. "Just leave it there, and maybe others may find it. So there might be more competitors in the tournament, I would enjoy more of a challenge." He started to walk away but stopped to say, "Ah, there is something you can do, find the exact location of the Iaido tournament, all I know is that it is in the woods outside of the city." And with that, he went over and ordered his evening meal.

EDIT: adding some more, since I didn't see Yuir's post, which pretty much confuses me xD

After hearing all of the commotion, Nobuo decides to eat in his room.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:10 AM

Makoto bows to Nobuo as he leaves to order his meal. Needing to find where the Iaido tournament is, he wonders where he can begin his inquiries. As he was about to place the note back on the ground, he notices the commotion of the young girl, and the entrance of three ruffians.

Not wanting to interfere, but disliking the idea of three men coming after one young woman, he lets the note fall right in their path hoping that one of them will notice it, and deter the rest from their goal for a time.

Mission accomplished, he heads over to the innkeeper to see if she knows anyone in town who may have access to information on the Iaido tournament...
Old 07-13-2007, 10:56 PM
ケーキはうそだ

As Nobuo heads towards his room, he nearly trips on something. The object was some kind of tube, made of metal, and appeared to have been broken off of something. He held it upwards and peered inside, which turned out to be a mistake, as black powder came out. As he tried to get the powder out of his eyes, the object reminded him of something he learned of from his father. His father was fond of teaching his children Chinese history. What it reminded of him, was a kind of weapon called a 'fire spear', which he regarded as a coward's weapon, since it required absolutely no skill. Nobuo hoped that the object was not what it reminded him of, because if more people used them it would throw off the balance in the land.

Last edited by Senshi; 07-18-2007 at 02:57 AM.