Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki > General

General General discussions about Tatsumaki: Land at War go here.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Trevian is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Perma death and why it would suit this game

Though I have not been involved with this games community I have stopped by the forums every once in a while to read post and check on the state of the game and I have to say the plan for this game really intrigues me. Though I doubt this game will live up to a fraction of what it promises (the realism they want to implement i.e. disease,infections looks way too complicated and I doubt an independent developer will be able to create a game with such grand standards) but I can always hope. And for that reason I thought I'd go ahead and post my idea on death in Land at War.

The word perma death has very negative connotations in the mmo community. Why? Because the idea of having one's character deleted with no chance of recovery thus losing all the skills and items they've worked countless hours for is just horrible. But this game is different. There are no skills and no stated items in the game (honestly confusing me about how fighting will work), so the most that could be lost with a characters death is money and rep. Think about it, if you played a character that has lived for say a year without death, that makes you a truly respectable person in the game community, thus heavily adding to roleplay. It would also show great skill to have lived for that long and would discourage stupid gameplay (running into a group of thirty enemies naked) Overall I believe it would bring so much to the game and take away little to nothing. So go ahead and post your opinions on permadeath.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2008, 12:17 PM
LanceArmstrong of Riddles

moses is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via MSN to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses
Default Re: Perma death and why it would suit this game

There are items. There aren't magic items and the like. There will be swords, weapons, armors etc and varying qualities of them, but theres no Sword of Uberness.
m0s3s:no this is #tatsumaki!
m0s3s:if only i could kick
m0s3s:then i could copy z
m0s3s:phail

Old 06-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Full Time Tiger

Gheari is on a distinguished road

Permanent death would probably be optional. I think it's already been decided on to have servers with perma death and servers without it.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:54 AM

WhiteHawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheari View Post
Permanent death would probably be optional. I think it's already been decided on to have servers with perma death and servers without it.
Yes, that's what I understood atleast. You see Trevian, permanent death would put off many players, which is not good for an MMO, especially Tatsumaki, since it requires a stable community to support it's intricate in-game economy and gameplay. In the end it's almost a necessity to have non-perma death servers. Too bad.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Lord Shino of The Katana is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lord Shino of The Katana

hmm well permadeath could be a good choice as an option for players. i agree with you that it would make a good impression on others for how long you last, but i also agree with white hawk that it would scare people away. maybe if ur character dies, players have the option to respawn or die. the dying will make them ose that account but maybe have a memorial gien to them based on rank? for example a high class player who dies will receive a tomb/memorial dedicated to him? well thats my idea XD

Old 06-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Compiling Compiling

Zorbon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevian View Post
(honestly confusing me about how fighting will work)
Street Fighter + Sword of Samurai + 2d Wii remote (aka mouse) = how combat would easily be described

Permadeath is for the elitist rp community. In the end if no one plays on the perma death servers then we'll shut em down.

Views expressed by Zorbon are not necessarily reflections of EoE or its partners.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Ninjitsu Master

Pysgod is on a distinguished road

I plan to play on perma death...
Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 AM

Kabegami is on a distinguished road

Nice idea it would be definatly be very realistic and will realy be original among the mmo's .Tho not everybody needs to fight .But i dont think many people would like to play there =) still a few would =) If people wont attack each other for no good reason then it will be a fine popularity =) good idea dude.
And about weapons,when you die,people can loot you if they want,can take you to your family,budhist priest to pure your body or just leave it outside on the street.

I agree with with both ideas =) of the community and yours...Should be optional ,departed with servers,and i would probably play on the Permadeath server till i get irritated by loosing 10 characters allready xD nice idea dude =) TC

"ALL WAREFARE IS BASED ON DECEPTION."
-Sun Tzu
Old 06-21-2008, 03:46 PM

WhiteHawk is on a distinguished road

Personally, upon the game's release, I think everybody should try to play on permadeath, at least for the first time.

If this game goes like I think it will, people will be mostly peaceful. Everybody should keep their blades in their sheaths until they absolutely need it, which I'm sure will not happen to often. Certainly, without monsters or massive amounts of NPC rogues and thieves, many of us will want to try ou the fighting system first hand by...I dunno...assaulting someone.

The only problem with the permadeath server is that after you get enough cash to get a sword, in order to improve your swordsmanship, there is no better way than fighting others. But if you do get in a fight, and you lose, you'll die and lose everything else too, and then you'll have to start over, get more money, and when you can finally purchase a weapon again....you're back to your original problem: "How will I try out this game's fighting system, without getting into serious peril?"

So that's why I think the permadeath server will be the best to play in, but is not appropriate for learning to play the game. I'm thinking of creating a character in a permadeath server, but try out fighting in a non-permadeath server to get some experience before actively engaging in potentially dangerous activities on the permadeath one. =P
Old 06-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Ninjitsu Master

Pysgod is on a distinguished road

Well there is going to be animals...hunting and resource gathering. Plus we'll have the mastering of trades to look forward to. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find people who do not partake in battle with others but spend their time becoming masters of the trades...whether it's the arts of weapons making or others.

Tags
permadeath death