Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: Tatsumaki

Archived: Tatsumaki Discuss all things related to Tatsumaki: Land at War, here.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Peace Artist

Tenshin is on a distinguished road
Default /Idea Damage

Says in the Wiki we get hit and damage to our body parts by ragdoll physics. How much damage can an unarmored person take?

For my idea: Focus. You block or parry, and you can counter attack. If you're struck realistically, chances are you won't be able to continue fighting. So instead of damage, my idea is focus. You're fighting and miss a parry, instead of getting hit, you dodge the attack, your focus drops for a moment.

focus in the place of health, regenrates. It is the ability to dodge an attack at the last second. If you are attacked and you do not block or parry, you automatically dodge, and your focus goes down (like your health would in other games). If your opponent does not attack you again, your focus will go back up in a few seconds. If your opponent performs a combo, you dodge as long as you have focus, if your focus is drained all the way, you have to block or you won't move fast enough to dodge again. If an attack is too fast and your focus is too low, you won't dodge it and will be struck.

That means that people who concentrate on training their focus can become able to dodge more attacks, much like in real life. And people who train their speed with a weapon can strike their opponent despite of focus. People who become good at timing their parries and blocks won't need to worry about focus so much.

This gives a feeling of expertise, and realism. Only the final successful blow actually lands, and depending on the bodypart it hits, thanks to the ragdol system, it could kill, or injure the individual.

Do you understand this explaination? What do you all think of this idea?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: /Idea Damage

No where in the wiki does it say we will have ragdoll physics, it says that there will be a picture of you with how much damage is done to what area based on a color chart.

As for how much damage - we'll have to find a nice medium ground during beta testing, but right now we're thinking 10-15 slight cuts from a sword (As in, someone barely hitting you, or not that hard - with a sword).

I don't really like putting anything like this in stone, seeing as thats how games end up being horrible - the developers get an idea stuck in their head and they have to have it that way even if the fans hate it. I don't want this, Tatsumaki was created for the fans, and will be developed for the fans, not for us.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Peace Artist

What do you think of my idea dealing with losing focus rather than getting cut 10 times before dying?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute

I skimmed it, and from what I read its a good idea... It could take place of an attribute, and the higher that attribute is, the longer you're able to keep focus during... Any task, which means a higher chance of doing certain things automatically.
It definitely solves the problem of clunky controls (I have and will consider any controller that isn't directly controlled by your brain, to be clunky... There is absolutely no way to represent the controls required for realistic movement in games, aside from a direct neural interface (Which are MANY years away from being actually viable as a game controller.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Peace Artist

I see what you mean, the main point of my idea is to have focus loss rather than health loss or damage, and the final blow being fatal or deabilitating. I find it more realistic this way, otherwise it will be very hard to leave any fight without being cut a few times.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Well they work on the same system, health PLUS focus is a more realistic approach than either alone.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Peace Artist

I suppose. How do you picture health and focus working together?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Ikko Family Founder

Ronin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ronin

Health is how much damage you can take, while focus is how well you can give it out? or like how your character performs?

"I can't believe I fell for that" -Sun Tzu

Quotes Mean Nothing, My actions shall silence all their useless words.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Im street *****, WU-TANG!

selmo has a spectacular aura aboutselmo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to selmo Send a message via MSN to selmo Send a message via Skype™ to selmo

focus shouldnt just be attacking but also like armor, but this seems like its getting too much into stats

If you want to view paradise,
Simply look around and view it,
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world? There's nothing to it
Old 01-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Peace Artist

Well that's what I was going for, but it has nothing to do with stats. Health and Focus can be the same thing. Focus is your health, instead of getting hit and your health draining, you barely dodge and your focus drains. That way you don't have samurai slicing each other up and still fighting when they should be in pieces. When all the focus is drained, then you're haven't the awareness to dodge and get struck, hitting the ragdoll body and damaging the relevant body part. Is this kind of what you have in mind by combining the two Sykoi?