Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki

Tatsumaki Discuss all things related to Tatsumaki: Land at War, here.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:35 PM

Ashikaga is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ashikaga
Default Rifles 2

So. this game is not going to have rifles in it. If the timing is right, historically I can;t say more than fair enough. However, with rifles introduced to Japan in 1543, and this game being set in the mid-1500s. firearms would have been around realistically. The T:LaW wiki says something along the lines of a time before the "dishonour" of firearms. This dishonour is something spawned from modern Hollwood cinema (notably the last samurai). However by the 1570s, the use of rifles en-masses was wide-spread in Japan.
As an RPG that enables a player to become not only a samurai lord, but also a meagre peasant, T:LaW should accept the fact that peasant armies were built up with tactics that required little skill or expertise, such as mass volleys with arquebus rifles, or teppo in Japan.
Discuss!
koboruru ota ya,
take no tsuyu
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Full Time Tiger

Gheari is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rifles 2

I think the game is set right about turn of the 16th century. The part about dishonor (New world spelling) comes from the ability of peasants to kill highly trained samurai by pulling a trigger. They took no strength or skill to use, as did the bow. This sort of made it so that samurai could only really outclass ashigaru with the bow or when it was wet.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:46 PM

Hmm, the wiki says something different. The samurai were the elite minority, who commanded and lead the masses. By the mid-1500s, the samurai had started to use these huge armies of ashigaru to blast each other to bits, only using samurai as the elites they were. And what of such legendary heroes, deemed samurai by popular culture, as Magoichi Saikia, the marksman and rebel against Nobunaga in the 1570s? The rifle is the ultimate balancer. Make a rifle cost a lot of money (say this is when they were first introduced, before mass production began). Therefore, a player can choose between spending a lot of yime honing skills with a blade, or a lot of time gatherring funds to afford the weapon in question.
koboruru ota ya,
take no tsuyu
Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Full Time Tiger

Making a rifle cost a lot would be counter-productive. The point of rifles was that they could be used to arm peasants en-mass and provide a reasonable alternative for elite troops. As for Saika, he was an Ikki, therefore I believe my statement about rifles being peasant weapons is still for the most part intact. The rifle was never really adopted as a main weapon by Japanese armies before the Bakamatsu.
Actually, the Japanese probably didn't have rifles at all, but smoothbores. The rifle wasn't even widely used in the West until the 19th century and the invention of the Minie ball. Japanese firearms in the feudal era would have been like any other of the age, terribly inaccurate and unreliable. If the powder got wet, it wouldn't fire, and since there wasn't precision manufacturing in those days, the balls bounced around before leaving the barrel. Bows have the advantage in range as well. The only merits of the arquebus are its ease of use and stopping power.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm not arguing the reason tanega-shima/teppo were used. And I definitely agree, the weapons at the time were muzzle-loading smoothbores brought in from Portugal, until some southern daimyo learnt how to create them.
I'm imply arguing that the weapons should be included in the game, and that some of the ideas that the creators have publised are based on modern popular culture rather than historical facts.
koboruru ota ya,
take no tsuyu
Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 PM

Le Samourai is on a distinguished road

I believe that feasibly, muskets can and should exist in Tatsumaki, but they shouldn't be "over-powered" or too disadvantageous towards regular spearmen and swordsmen composed armies. These earlier firearms were pretty inaccurate and unreliable weapons.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Full Time Tiger

My basic reason for posting all of this was basically to ask why you would want to use them. Except for the original ease a use, the bow is a better weapon. Pushing the date up to or past 1543 also introduces Europeans.