Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki

Tatsumaki Discuss all things related to Tatsumaki: Land at War, here.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 AM

Yuge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yuge
Default Androgyny and Crossdressing

I've lurked a bit and checked the wiki, and to the best of my knowledge, these haven't been asked yet. I hope if it has, you'll forgive the poor n00b and simply direct me to a link.

Anyway, I know the game is striving for a very realistic feel, and that made me wonder about two things. Firstly, I was wondering if characters (male characters, specifically) would be able to make "bishounen" looking characters. I'm not saying anime-style unrealistically flawless feminine beauty, but at least a decently androgynous character.
On a related point, what about hair styles? Would we be limited to the hair styles that were common then, or will we have at least a few hairstyles that perhaps bend realism in favor of looking good by modern standards a bit? Also, while I understand having all kinds of various hair colors would be horribly unrealistic, are varying shades of black/brown a possibility?

Anyway, before I turn this into a short novel, I'll move on to question 2: crossdressing/unisex clothes. This is pretty straight foward question. Will clothing be gender-specific or can a guy wear women's clothing or the other way around.

I understand that this is supposed to be a realistic portrayal of Sengoku Japan and not a bad yaoi fanfiction, but for such an open-ended MMO, I think it'd be nice to be able to play as a big muscular manly-man, a feminine crossdresser or something in between, if you want. Also, crossdressing opens up the possibility of someone roleplaying the classic woman-pretending-to-be-a-man scenario, potentially leading to some very interesting roleplaying moments.

So.... um... yeah... I think that sums up my questions... \o/

Oh, and I apologize if this is the wrong forum or something ^^;; Like I said, I'm just a n00b. I read the rules and this seemed like the place to post this, if not, then sorry ^^;;
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Compiling Compiling

Zorbon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Androgyny and Crossdressing

Very interesting questions.

I doubt we'll specifically make androgynous characters, however you never know if they sorta turn out that way.

As for hair styles there will be various shades of black and brown, grays and whites, as for other colors it is highly unlikely.

We've yet to discuss the issue of gender specific clothing, though i can see the possibility of it being useful.

Views expressed by Zorbon are not necessarily reflections of EoE or its partners.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Ninjitsu Master

hessan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hessan

If nothing else, being able to crossdress would be extremely useful if anyone wanted to RP Shirabyōshi or kabuki (which came about at the very end of this period). After all the woman who started kabuki, the miko Izumo no Okuni, often played the samurai roles and insisted that the actors of her troupe played the opposing gender.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 AM

Sakito is on a distinguished road

This is an interesting topic for me, honestly. As in almost every MMO I've ever played all of the men have been far too burly for me, or have all kinds of rather displeasing characteristics like stubble, horribly angry looking faces with big giant chins, super musclulature all over their bodies regardless of whether it would be POSSIBLE to maintain such things without spending around 90% of your time on it...

So I've become rather dissatisfied with the representations I find and end up playing female characters most of the time. Now, I'm male behind the screen, so this has been... odd for me to say the least. However, being that I am a rather effeminate male, it saddens me to say that most MMO companies have completely forgotten there could possibly be someone out there who wouldn't want to play a male character that was completely rough around the edges.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that, I, as one of the few gamers who would appreciate the options, respectfully implore you to consider and/or create some male body types, face, hair types, etc, that are less he-man and more on the bishounen side.

Another thing I've sadly noticed is that rarely do games allow for people to use the same hair regardless of gender choice and it would be nice to be able to have a whole bunch of hairstyles, regardless if they were made for a specific gender, and be able to chose them for whichever gender you decided to be. That's been a deterrent for me in some cases too, but as you can see from this post I take close account of what sort of representation I set for myself.

So that's my 2 cents on the matter. *chuckles*
Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Compiling Compiling

Zorbon is on a distinguished road

by androgyny, i believe yuge was refering to guys who really really look like women(or the other way around). A quick google search of a good example of androgyny, http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/imag...-androgyny.JPG

That being said, No we're not going to have stereotypical super muscle men or gigantic breasted chicks, we'll probably have a mix of things, plus we've been talking about making scalable adjustments etc.

Anyhoo look at our player model on the main page, she doesn't look that stereotypical to me.

Views expressed by Zorbon are not necessarily reflections of EoE or its partners.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:18 AM

Well, what I would like to see in the game is something other than your average manly-man characters. Feminine male characters would be nice (especially if crossdressing is included... as... manly crossdressers... just... *shudders*) but at the very least I hope for find some kind of middle-ground.

http://drklghtangel.deviantart.com/a...reant-78433826

That is a SL avatar I made of a character I used to roleplay, to give you an idea of the kind of character I'd like to be able to make. (build-wise, of course, I can understand cowboy hats might now work XD)
Old 05-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Full Time Tiger

Gheari is on a distinguished road

I would like something like to suggest something like the SWG player generator, at least to create the frame of your character. And I would also like to include the prospect of hair growth, so that if you want to change your hair, you either have to cut your hair or grow it out.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I'M BATMAN!

HeniuriSaito is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HeniuriSaito

It is widely known that "women could never fight", so many used to dress like men.

And the REAL "Battousai" (he existed, not as in Rurouni Kenshin, but something like that.) he was uh, small in size, had a long hair and usually dressed like a gueisha(or is it gueixa? in portuguese I'm quite sure it's with X... But...) to kill his targets a a Hitokiri (sort of assassin, "manslayer" but in a role of assassination instead of massmurder).

I really do think that it could be a fine addiction. It would be really good, but in terms of modeling I don't know how you intend to make the clothes. like a "fixed" model or some sort of texture with some... ah... Meshes... I mean like... A simple shirt have one model for women and one for men, or a texture with small model changes that "adapt" to the body, I think the latter one is the one used in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, the first one is The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion's. I'm not an expert on that, but that's what I can guess from what I've played....
The "adapt" way can save much modeling work and size on files like using the same model for each piece of clothes, but it may well make you look strange stretching textures and all on body... While the different models are okay but (i think) a bit harder to create and use much more space, making more use of the RAM, HD and everything...

Correct me if I'm wrong. My fingers and my brain are freezing here. Tough I love the winter.

And that picture of Yuge is Oblivion? I LOVE Oblivion!
edit: oh, I read it, it's for second life. sucks. Thought t'was oblivion...

Why speak a bit Heniuri Saito if you can read his story right here?

"There are no flowers on your grave, there are no chains. There I keep chanting for the forgotten name."
Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 AM

I don't want to make this go off-topic, but I love Oblivion too XD

Anyway, I was thinking of something along the lines of what Gaia Online has, where the items are generally virtually identical but with minor adaptations to fit to the form of the wearer. I'm not a 3d modeler, so I don't know how that would be best achieved, though ^^;;
Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Full Time Tiger

Gheari is on a distinguished road

SWG SWG SWG!!!! They had an excellent system for this, though I'm not entirely sure how it was done... Sorry if I'm yelling for no reason but It is what I do. That and hunt for flesh on the dark streets of my home town.

Tags
androgyny, bishounen, cross dressing, crossdressing