Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > General > The Katana > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Drivel getting you down? Want a place to discuss serious topics such as life and death? This is the place!

Old 04-10-2006, 05:08 PM

ojwk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Americanised spelling

I know that a lot of you guys are from the US and i'm not trying to offend anyone but why are so many words 'americanly' spelt? It really gets on my nerves!

Its weird not wierd
Its colour not color
Its favourite not favorite
Its honour not honor
Its centre not center
Its metre not meter
Its theatre not theater

No Zs no double LLs and most of all no OGs!!!
Its analyse not analyze
Its fulfil not fulfill
Its analogue not analog

No lazy spelling!
Its encylycopaedia not encylopedia
Its manoeuvre not maneuver

No CKs or Ks its que!
Its cheque not check - check means somthing completely different from cheque!

Its -ence not -enze
defence not defense
licence not license

and a few misc ones:
Computer program, television programme
Plough not plow
Tyre not tire
Draught not draft
Jewellery not Jewelry
Pyjamas not Pajamas - this is an Indian word for goodness sake! how can you americani(z)e that!
The list goes on....

Why in 'American English' has the language been twisted? Why has it changed? Responces please

My sig is best viewed using any other browser than IE
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Americanised spelling

Actually...
-I've never heard anyone call weird 'wierd', I think thats just a typo
- http://www.answers.com/colour
- Favorite is the more natural spelling, favourite is a British/UK thing
- Same with honor
- And center
- Another British slang
- Ditto

- More British!

- http://www.answers.com/topic/cheque-1?method=6

Its not that Americans have been changing the language, its that Britain has been introducing new English into the language, and America, being stubborn as hell, won't accept it.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:05 PM
ケーキはうそだ

Senshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Senshi Send a message via MSN to Senshi

Maybe its because the U.S. and U.K. are in different parts of the world. Just like Portugal & Brasil.

For example, There is a country called..... "TheCountry", and their language is called "Countryian". (so cheesy) "TheCountry" sets up a colony far away called "TheNewCountry". As time passes the "Countryian" of both places develop seperately, since both countrys are isolated a bit. So differences between the two kinds of "Countryian" start to appear.

I dont know if that helps at all. =/

Kumamoto Leader \ Former Meitochi.com Owner
Forum Moderator \ Tatsumaki Anime Director

Go: Kumamoto Clan | Info & Joining Kumamoto
Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 PM
EoE Modeller

Kinjo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kinjo

Right or wrong I think Brits and british colonys have a sort of superiority complex when it come to English, after all shouldn't proper English come from England?
well in my opinion yes, but im biast as Im from a English colony (New Zealand) and I go along with most all of what ojwk said.

In my opinion the only people who speak "real proper" English now days are the Queen of England and the royal family.

Im not sure if I trust internet definitions either since the internet was invented by americans and a very large percentage of the english internet is american sites in american english.

Even out spell checkers default to US English which is incorrect in my country
Old 04-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Nobuwa-Ryuu

MattyQ will become famous soon enoughMattyQ will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to MattyQ Send a message via MSN to MattyQ Send a message via Yahoo to MattyQ

Though if one wants to get even more technical, Queen's English isn't even the original, the language is a major Germanic one, with derivations from the romance languages.

The difference between Queen's English and American English is little more than the evolution of phonetic spelling and cultural development than anything else. It never derived from arrogance, merely from the fact that different groups of people in different parts of the world seperated by thousands of miles of ocean without ways to communicate quickly were both still writing and learning and talking, and things just grew up the way they did.

Keep in mind that many who came to America originally were not highly educated people (I say this as an American) and those who were were few in number. So naturally, spelling of words became more phonetic. When you speak the word 'color' you do not pronounce the 'u'. (Pronounce versus color is a perfect example, as you can see the 'ou' sound in the 'nounce'.)

I can go on, but I need to go finish cooking dinner.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Compiling Compiling

Zorbon is on a distinguished road

/me coughs

I was actually looking for a different joke (that i read... 8 years ago?), but this one will do.

Ojwk you should read "A Pickle for the Knowing Ones; or Plain Truths in a Homespun Dress” ^,~
__________________________________________________ _________________
The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!

Views expressed by Zorbon are not necessarily reflections of EoE or its partners.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:36 PM
The Smiling Spirit

Shinzui will become famous soon enoughShinzui will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Shinzui

Well, I'm actually taking a human geography course that touched on this subject. There is an idea of a "proto-language" from which the smaller branches originated. As different regions polarize they develope their own unique dialects and spellings. This can be seen in different languages, which have words that are basically the same but are spelled different. The spelling may be changed for pronounciation, or just a common misconception of how the word is actually spelled. Either way, different cultures change languages as they see fit. I wouldn't take any offense to it, who knows someday English in the UK could become completely different from English in the US! Maybe even as much as English and German differ! XD

If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we would find in each person's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Old 04-10-2006, 08:33 PM
EoE Modeller

Kinjo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kinjo

Zorbon that was hilarious
Old 04-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Nobuwa-Ryuu

MattyQ will become famous soon enoughMattyQ will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to MattyQ Send a message via MSN to MattyQ Send a message via Yahoo to MattyQ

Well, English and German differ a lot, but if you see the languages written, there are tons of similarities in spelling, or you can see how words could derive from others.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Im street *****, WU-TANG!

selmo has a spectacular aura aboutselmo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to selmo Send a message via MSN to selmo Send a message via Skype™ to selmo

I now how to solve this problem! we will all talk in acronyms...so far all those words started with the same first letter!!!!

If you want to view paradise,
Simply look around and view it,
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world? There's nothing to it