Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > General > The Katana > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Drivel getting you down? Want a place to discuss serious topics such as life and death? This is the place!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Earl of Procrastination

Kurisu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are the classics dieing?

Would you mind telling us why you think so, Superlion?

@ HeniuriSaito
While I can't say I hate any music is music I prefer over other music. This depends on my mood too. While I wouldn't want to hear flamenco while bbqing I'd enjoy something like Buena Vista Social Club or maybe Café del Mar, pretty awesome stuff for just chilling out.
For partying I enjoy rock, can be classic rock but also bands like Nirvana. But most of the time house&electro is far better for partying. (at least IMO)
I hardly listen to classic, the only kind of classic I enjoy from time to time could be orchestral film music or romantic music(you know, from the romanticism period, not "ti amo ti amo ti amotiamotiamotiamotiamo" music), componists like Schumann(although he was a bit crazy). Wiener Klassik, blech. Mozart... It all repeats over and over again... I also enjoy inventions, sinfonies and fugues, but only playing them

I don't know what's so great about classic rock, it's nice from time to time but I can't understand why people like it THAT much.

About your folk rhythms, folk can be pretty awesome, but often I don't feel like listening to polka. Rather to some Arab, Spanish, French folk or Armenian folk(system of a down! ). You shouldn't say "this kind of music is crap, I don't want to listen to that" but rather be a bit open minded. I don't really like it if people start playing R'n'B(especially cause the texts are pretty much ****), but there could be worse things. Like someone dropping his beer. Onto you.

However, I don't agree with you that we should influence kids. And especially not telling them what's good and what's bad. Especially not in things like music. That'd be awful. You should show children many different kinds of music, but not favor any of these. Ow and one thing you might want to prevent a kid from is watching MTV. You don't want another zombie
Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Full Time Tiger

Gheari is on a distinguished road

Right, support your argument. Anyone have an opinion on house music?

I agree with Kurisu that Superlion should support his argument. Also I love System of a Down.

Last edited by Gheari; 06-02-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: kurisu beat me to something
Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Earl of Procrastination

Aw, sorry Gheari Would've enjoyed reading your post, too.

House. Pretty technical music. You've got to have a good grasp of finding ways how to get the mass freaking out in the club. It might seem easy to some but it's sometiems a pretty decent job making a GOOD house song. I like it only when I dance, honestly. When I listen to eletronic music, then rather to trance.

Oh and, the older System of A Down was far better(Toxicity, Debut!).
Old 06-02-2008, 04:32 PM

HajimeSaito is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HajimeSaito Send a message via MSN to HajimeSaito

Would you guys prefer if I made a new thread for music or should we just keep the discussion here?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Zomg Dylan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Zomg Dylan

almost ironically my music taste progressed with the bands of different decades, starting in the sixties with Black sabbath, the beatles, jimi hendrix and johnny cash (three of my favorite bands/musicians to date), after listening to just about every song each of them put out continuously i got my hands on my first led zeppelin album i thought it was phenomenal so i started listening to other classic rock, punk, and metal from the seventies, like ac/dc, iron maiden, the sex pistols, Judas priest and what not.
obviously the mentioned bands were the basis for countless bands so i started listening to them, leading into music from the eighties like van halen, metallica, queen, rush, motley crue, guns and roses. every single one of these bands (with possible exception of van halen who's reunion tour i saw a few weeks ago) are in the process of making or have put out a new album in the last year, i wanted to listen to them from start to finish in chronological order and to the bands they influenced. among the influenced bands i listened to the grunge, alt. rock and metal bands a lot more and in the nineties aside from the above bands i like Alice in chains, nirvana, Sound Garden,and the smashing pumpkins. the only bands that i like now fall into the same groups as the ones above and i still thoroughly enjoy all of them.
i play guitar and i'm saving up for a bass (not sure if that would be considered different from a guitar) and a little less then once a week a few friends and i get together and 'jam' together for a few hours. i can stand rap up until about 1999 or 2000 up until it started to turn into what it is today a bunch of loosely rhyming phrases that are completely unrelated except for that they say how 'super hardcore' the rapper is, i wouldn't pay fifteen dollars for forty minutes of someone talking about how cool they are with incredibly simple drum beats and if i'm lucky a synthesizer (the second least respected 'instrument' beside jack black's mouth)
Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Full Time Tiger

Ah, house music.... Gotta, something it. Have you every walked by an Abercrombie & Fitch and your ears bleed? Yeah I think the attached pic shows it all.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I'M BATMAN!

HeniuriSaito is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HeniuriSaito

Gheari just showed my opinion about it.

System of a Down was awesome, now it's just good... Though I could say that my taste for music is quite strange since it went from alternative rock(before this emo/punk crap blowing our ears off) to classic and classical music. Mostly I hate to generalize music genres since everybody end up liking one band or another from some genres that they don't like... But it can't be helped about these popular tastes. like eletronic beats(techno, eletronic, house, whatever; these drug sounds) and rap/hip-hop crap.
Seriously, I can't stand people who say those things like "I like the message that rap gives us". What the hell? "Yo homie tha police is comin' after us and we was like we gon' shoot'yo all for stayin' on our dope spot nigga". Many say about the "violence and racism" they suffer, but that can't be considered a damn music, there are many ways to tell people about the "unfairness" of society instead of earning money because they had a though time on their neighbourhood and do some damn rhymes about that, instead of trying to make people improve everything. That just supports the image people make of them "drug dealing fools who listen to crap, get high and spank hookers".

Music was supposed to be some kind of art, however, I can't see any kind of art listening to drug-musics like techno and crap. which are the same rythim over and over again.

Classic rock isn't good just because it's classic. Actually you must have a specific taste, like you love guitar solos, bass rythims, drums, or something, this way you may easily find many lovely sounds on classics, if you haven't yet, however if you're used to listening just crap music like rap and techno... I doubt you'll ever like it.

Classical music is the same, if you love piano, organ, violin... It depends on your taste and "ear" to find those awesome songs...

However, listening to popular music (pop/rap/eletr.) I doubt you'll ever find a good thing to hear and probably is one of those who are killing our classics.

And HajimeSaito, if it's not too far from "killing the classicals" I think you could post it here, if it is something else more personal-related A newer thread could be better.

Why speak a bit Heniuri Saito if you can read his story right here?

"There are no flowers on your grave, there are no chains. There I keep chanting for the forgotten name."
Old 06-03-2008, 04:20 AM
Earl of Procrastination

Meh, you guys have to differentiate. I can't stand rave and techno either, but house and electro can be good(but you probably only heard these um-ts um-ts um-ts songs)

About the drug music, let's just take System of A Down as an example, Daron(the guitar player), Serj(vocalist, at least on the older albums ) and Shavo(the bass player) are at nearly every concert on multiple drugs. Bongs backstage etc. (I wonder what the drummer, the only non-drugger is thinking )
I don't support it but they're music is still awesome... However, more music was created on drugs than some might think...
Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Full Time Tiger

I like normal techno, especially Bass Hunter. And Swedish(Sweden the country not Sweden the town) Techno Rap, interesting, not rap in the American sense, and very catchy.
By the way.... Let me get it juicy for ya.
I've edited this post a lot, I was just saying what my opinion was on the "UNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCE" type of music.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:07 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ryu

lolz, i'm such a philistine
i like hip hop, soft jazz and classical. thats it.

Tags
music, politics, sociology