Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > General > The Katana > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Drivel getting you down? Want a place to discuss serious topics such as life and death? This is the place!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Full Time Tiger

Gheari is on a distinguished road
Default Are the classics dying?

Myself being a supporter of the classics(both Western and Eastern) and opera, as well as being a fan of jazz, rock, rhythm & blues, folk music, some religiously stylized music, the occasional country song, techno, and traditional Spanish. In fact the only kind of music I can't stand is rap, after all I can speak in a loud and obnoxious tone in rhyme to very loud bass, but I don't because I find it absolutely revolting.
I'm not adverse to hip hop, however I'll only acknowledge something as hip hop if it has an actual musical value to it. I deny rap as music because it shames the traditional music and I don't really see how other people can enjoy it. I mean even if people understand the words they are still somehow attracted to it, even women for some reason, the songs are patronizing, even demeaning. I'm a man and I find them offensive.
This kind of thing is what would kill the classics, I don't even know anyone that plays a stringed instrument, other than the guitar, and what kind of kid wants to play brass? Today kids want to be rock stars or rappers, even though you actually can make more money in classical. Some of my favorite music is classical, I love to sing, and I don't see why people don't force their kids to try anymore. My country at the very least seems to have given up, and I want to put a boot in the face of whoever is responsible.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 AM
Ninjitsu Master

Pysgod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are the classics dieing?

I'm not big into classical even though I can listen to it. I'm more into metal and alternative and celtic music. I have heard Japanese traditional music and I enjoyed it very much. Also have heard Korean and some Chinese. I don't listen to rap really. Or country since it kind of bores me.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:11 AM
Earl of Procrastination

Kurisu is on a distinguished road

Hehe, another rant about rap

I don't think parents should force their kids to anything, but I think they really should show their children that there's more than just rap or rock. And that at a stage before they've been brainwashed by MTV.

I agree, rap is somewhat at a border of music. If the rap has some nice texts I can enjoy it but the rhythm really has to be wicked to make me hear it.
However, I rather enjoy Arabic drum music than rap. You don't have real tones there except the different shades of the drum sounds. But the rhythm kicks ass.

I don't see your point with the money, though. I doubt many people are going to make their hobby to a job. At least I want to make music to enjoy something and not to earn money with it.

But still, classics seems to be dying. You're right. But I'm really glad my piano teacher is classical(mostly baroque, then some classic(usually Wiener Klassik) and then a bit romanticism[I don't know if it's the right English word?]) because it just shows me another side of music. On one hand.
But on the other hand I have to teach myself more modern music which is not too bad though.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 AM

Black Echo is on a distinguished road

Luckily for me, I was introduced to classic rock at age 5. Jazz at 6. As well as many other types of music early on.

So, as a 15 year old, I have lots of musical taste. Personally I prefer Classic Rock, Metal, Jazz, and the occasional techno.

Moderation Note: Deleted last line of post because it contained inappropriate language.

The blade is but an extension of one's anger, anger is but a fear of perfection, fear is but an excuse to wield the blade.

Last edited by HajimeSaito; 06-01-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Earl of Procrastination

Kurisu is on a distinguished road

Psh
You'll see that later on rap doesn't work but money will

However, I don't know how people get into techno, let alone tekkno or gabba,
Old 05-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Tatsumaki Video Producer

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Masamune Send a message via MSN to Masamune

The classics aren't dying. Led Zeppelin played a sold out reunion show, Bruce Springsteen is still making albums, Neil Diamond has a new album out and is playing to younger crowds.

The way I see it is, if the Rolling Stones are still alive and still playing to crowds, then the classics aren't dead.

Moderation Note: Again, deleted a line of post due to inappropriate language. C'mon guys, do we really need a reminder of the rules?

Last edited by HajimeSaito; 06-01-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Full Time Tiger

Gheari is on a distinguished road

My point about the money was that most modern artists spend most of their money on touring, drugs, and women, while classical artists tend to have their expenses covered, and also conductors, 1st-3rd chair violin, and many pianists can make outstanding wages.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I'M BATMAN!

HeniuriSaito is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HeniuriSaito

Rap sucks long time. This alternative rock sucks. Most real musics are dying.

Though I love classical rock, like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Van Halen and all(though I hate rolling stones). But most of musics I really listen to are soundtracks of games( like Ace Combat) and movies, and Mozart. Classic music like Opera are awesome, though "our youth" think it sucks and go on listening to those rap, pop and crap. Many folk rythims are awesome. I too don't believe we should "force" our children to do what we want, but, instead, we should influence them to. Teaching them values, what's good what's bad, making those conspiracy things that they say about television and the government on our children.

I specially love Flaminco music, what made me hate "my generation" was when I was listening to Ace Combat Zero Soundtrack on my amp, out in a barbecue with my class-mates, then they heard it and started laughing and said to me "turn that crap off!" and started to listen to some "funk" music( not the 70's funk, here in Brazil funk is a mix of rap, hip-hop and techno, with awfully bad lyrics(i **** you, i **** you i **** you, you gonna get ****ed, i **** you i **** you for 5-8 minutes with little pause to the same rythim that repeats over and over again) and absolutely no culture at all.

It's like watching a 6 year old boy singing and dancing like britney spears. You hate it, you puke to it, and can't do anything about it, it's not his parents fault, but something else... Ahem...TV's fault (specially mtv). The media "uses" its influence and common people tend to just follow it, and end up loving that crap.

Pink Floyd are going to reunite one of these days, but it's not for too long.

As long as we keep loving our classical(and good) tastes, and teach our children to do so, the classicals aren't going to die. (I hope so.)

Why speak a bit Heniuri Saito if you can read his story right here?

"There are no flowers on your grave, there are no chains. There I keep chanting for the forgotten name."
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 PM

HajimeSaito is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HajimeSaito Send a message via MSN to HajimeSaito

Hold tight for a couple days guys, I've been preparing a post on music for Serious Discussion for about a week now, I should have it up on Tuesday.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:01 PM

Superlion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Superlion Send a message via MSN to Superlion

The classics are not dying.

Tags
music, politics, sociology