Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: Tatsumaki

Archived: Tatsumaki Discuss all things related to Tatsumaki: Land at War, here.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:51 PM

Lejar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [Q]Social Aspect

Ya, I have a friend that play*ed* Lineage II....I guess they didnt use tells or somehting like that. Pretty much, he said their chat system was lacking...I think that we will have to have a chat window; and probably tells too. Otherwise, how could you meet up with people in game? Unless you used a third party program like Teamspeak or something.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Bullet Proof Monk

ShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah,

I tried to envision almost any way of doing without the text/chat window interface, it's necessary for the time being I think. A full screen mode all the time without the text box would be awesome but it would lead to a lot of communication problems. Hmmm... maybe have an option where you could have no chat interface, just like clouds around someone's head with the statement they said, and option to toggle the text interface on and off.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Shogun of all Japan

connick is on a distinguished road

Interesting thoughts. If any of you are familiar with the program Microsoft Chat you may recall that you could visually chat with people and control the emotions of your avatar. The interface was a small circular region (much like the 5-point stat representation in the wiki) where you could drag a small indicator into different quadrants to produce varying ranges of emotion. Such a tool could be placed right next to the chat box allowing players to easily tweak their characters appearance on the fly. For example, leaving the marker in the middle would display a neutral face. Dragging it into the 'angry' quadrant a little would furrow the eyebrows a a bit and cause a slight frown, dragging it farther towards the edge would result in bared teeth and wide eyed rage.

As far as the text box itself, I'm averse to the idea of thought bubbles. The concept doesn't sit well with me at all. I think a standard local chat box will suffice.

Also, regarding universal chat (discussed elsewhere), I would like to reiterate my opposition to it. I think that if two players want to communicate it should be face to face. They didn't have cell phones in the 14th century nor should they have telepathy.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:43 PM
The sheathed sword

Galvorn is on a distinguished road

I really like the discussion thats going on here and I have some more to add to this yet. I will try to post more once I get home from work, in the morning.

Until then keep those ideas rollin.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:41 PM

SunWuKong has a spectacular aura aboutSunWuKong has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by connick
As far as the text box itself, I'm averse to the idea of thought bubbles. The concept doesn't sit well with me at all. I think a standard local chat box will suffice.

Also, regarding universal chat (discussed elsewhere), I would like to reiterate my opposition to it. I think that if two players want to communicate it should be face to face. They didn't have cell phones in the 14th century nor should they have telepathy.
I cannot truly express how much I agree with this.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Bakemono

ToshiMaru has a spectacular aura aboutToshiMaru has a spectacular aura about

No universal chat? Okay, but how would two individuals communicate if they werent close by each other? Mail runner? maybe, but where will we find one, and how will this npc/pc locate the other player?

OOC: On mails, will there be personal mails(PM), or post office mails, where you'll have to go to a post office and get the mail. <-- I dont think anyone has time for that. Maybe just let PM slip through the cracks of realism; because if a player wasnt online, and was sent a mail, he would receive it when he logs on, and not have to burden himself with going to the post office. dangit, although this would conflict with universal chat as an exploit.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:03 PM

SunWuKong has a spectacular aura aboutSunWuKong has a spectacular aura about

Yep. Private runners, messages left at Inns/Guild houses, word of mouth, etc.

I don't mind having chat. I would just like the range to be very limited. Town/Battlefield.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Shogun of all Japan

connick is on a distinguished road

Why not just have it so people can shout very loudly if they so choose? I mean, we've all shouted over big distances to communicate with people before. Before the telephone, people sent messages to one another with relative ease. I think that utilizing paper messages rather than whispers/tells would significantly slow the pace of the game to a more realistic level. I think that the notion of living a single day in the life of a man in feudal Japan would be better achieved with "snail-mail" via messangers on foot and horseback instead of abbreviating communication through the use of virtual telepathy.

A little discussion already took place regarding paper, here's what I had to say.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Ninjitsu Master

Tekashi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tekashi Send a message via MSN to Tekashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunWuKong
Yep. Private runners, messages left at Inns/Guild houses, word of mouth, etc.

I don't mind having chat. I would just like the range to be very limited. Town/Battlefield.
Also we should be able to kill these just incase its an enemy forces messanger like make them have there symbol on them or something? Would be fun to have an heh urgent message from the battlefield cut off.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Bullet Proof Monk

ShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond repute

Connick,

What was your character in Kingdom of the Winds, I was ShininShado, haha. Mage in the Heavens Clan. I recall the paper, and being able to write on it. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of very limited range of communication, no long distance private messages. This would totally fix cross teaming from across clans. The limited range of communication would make for super realistic and do great with roleplaying. Best thing to do would be have a central meeting place to get the gameplan for the next adventure. Maybe post gameplans on bullet boards in village sqaures, or something. I was thinking of this, and not sure if it was used or not, but like passenger pigeons, it was an archaic method of transferring information, but not sure if it was used during this time. I'll research that some.

Shin