Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Community Projects > User Interaction > Private Forums > Obsessions

Obsessions The ravings of a bored mind.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Overdose Delusion

Yukie is on a distinguished road
Default Shinobi: Heart Under Blade - Rant

Warning: Contain spoilers

Well after watching the anime Basilisk (which the movie is based on); I sat down and started to watch the movie with low expectations, which throughout the movie I had to keep lowering because it couldn't even manage to meet them...

To be honest it should never have been adapted into a movie to start with, you cannot condense 24 episodes (around 12 hours) of story into 2 hours. Worse yet, you cannot condense 12 hours of ninja's into such a small time frame.

The movie comes across as looking rather cheesey (and this is >me< saying that, I can sit through Bullet Proof Monk, Hero, House of Flying Daggers and CTHD and not think its cheesey in the least). They tried hard and some of the locations they shot in were nice, but didn't look like anything they were meant to (The Hidden Hilt Village is not that small...) and the ninja skills looked really, really bad (think Mortal Kombat: Armageddon bad).

Since being crammed into a 2 hour movie the story also suffered ALOT. I understand why they had to cut it from 10 vs 10 to 5 vs 5 because of time restraints but:
  • Where was Hotarubi's and Yashamaru's relationship?
  • Tenzen is not revived by the power of worms...
  • Kagero does not have the ability to make a cloud of poison at will and she was not fed poison from birth to give her the Jutsu she uses.
  • Oboro's 'Eyes of Ruin' do NOT have the ability to kill someone from looking at them, they just dispel ninja techniques.
  • Gennosuke's jutsu does not induce bullet time! (I think i almost cried).
  • Kyoshiro has not only changed sides from Iga to Kouga but has also lost the ability to create Air Vacuums.
  • Kisaragi Saemon now looks like a freaking idiot...
  • Nenki now looks like a freaking idiot...
  • Muroga Hyouma now looks like a freaking idiot...
  • No character died the way they were supposed to -_-
  • There was no effort spent on any story, it was more 'Zomg lets just use jutsu's then kill each other'. While Basilisk didn't have the deepest story line it at least provided enough back story to make you care about the ninjas competing.
  • Watch the ending of the film and then the ending of the anime and tell me which one is really better....

And there's alot more that i cant think to list at the moment..

Missing Nins:

Iga:

Akeginu
Jingoro
Rousai
Kyoshiro

Kouga:

Kasumi Gyoubu
Okoi
Jimushi Jubei
Kazamachi Shogen
Udono Jousuke

So in conclusion, if you've seen the anime just don't watch the film unless you want to spend 2 hours going 'What the hell...'

Basilisk (Note contains MAJOR spoilers) but you at least get to see most of the cast and the music video manages to build more emotion than the movie did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCyG0rAxiE8

But i suppose if you've never seen the anime this movie is so-so.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Im street *****, WU-TANG!

selmo has a spectacular aura aboutselmo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to selmo Send a message via MSN to selmo Send a message via Skype™ to selmo
Default Re: Shinobi: Heart Under Blade - Rant

i have the anime on my harddrive from somewhere never watched it though cause im lazy and would much rather sit around...but if yukie recomends it....(i dont really know if yukie recomends it since 90% of the time i dont read what yukie is talking about) JUST KEEDING.....so was the anime any good? your just talkin abtou the movie O_o

If you want to view paradise,
Simply look around and view it,
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world? There's nothing to it
Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 AM
EoE Modeller

Kinjo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kinjo

Yukie u know I got a lot of time for you but your coming off like a anime elitest whacko here

If I google the word forum and the title of any movie adaption of a anime/comic/video game there will be about 100 posts just like this one explaining why the movie sucked because it was not exactly along the lines of the animated script.

I find this opinion old and tiresome

If its true the movie was "BASED" on that anime then you have look closely at the word "BASED" meaning the screenwriter took some ideas from that anime, and then adapted it with their own ideas and what they thought was possible in a screenplay. Taking ideas from other people and changing and adding to them is how stories are written.

I suspect basilisk is heavily influenced in itself, just look at the parallels between it and Ninja Scroll or even historical ninja stories. Its a mixture of ideas which is what I think Shinobi Heart Under Blade is.

You have to look at it as a movie called Shinobi Heart Under Blade and judge it on that, dont judge it as "the live action Basilisk movie" because I dont think it is, if it was it would be called Basilisk and not something else.

I have heard directors and screenwriters talking about not naming comic book adaptions the title of the comic so they have more artistic freedom over the story and characters without being chained to making a live action carbon copy of a anime.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Overdose Delusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjo
*SNIP*
I think i said somewhere if you haven't watched the anime its an ok movie by itself?

And i probably am coming off as a huge 'anime elitest wacko' here ;p but if your 'basing' a movie on something, surely you should at least get those things right.

I don't want it exactly the same as the anime, seeing kazamachi shogen walking around on a web would look stupid; as would seeing jimushi slide around on his belly. But they just seemed to have missed out on all the things that made basilisk good and went with flashy ninja skills instead.

I don't know, maybe its 'cos your a guy you dont want some emotional story, love triangles or 'deep' meanings and would rather just sit there and watch people kick the crap out of each other?

And yes, the anime stole from Ninja Scrolls and Romeo and Juliet
Old 08-22-2006, 02:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to selmo Send a message via MSN to selmo Send a message via Skype™ to selmo

haha yukie ignores me...douche bag....but apon reading her second post i guess ill hafto check this anime that has been sittin on my comp out

Old 08-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Overdose Delusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmo
haha yukie ignores me...douche bag....
That insult is old now. OLD i tells you!

Edit: Old like kinjo.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Tatsumaki Video Producer

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Masamune Send a message via MSN to Masamune

I agree with you Yukie, even though I haven't seen the movie, I can understand what you're getting at.

I can't even think of one really great anime/manga and/or video game adaptation into a movie. I think the closest, and this is a stretch, is Silent Hill, but even then, THAT could have been better.

I heard there are plans for a Neon Genesis Evangelion movie sometime in the future. I saw the concept art for it and it looks like they're staying true to the anime, so hopefully that will prove successful if they ever work on it (WETA Workshop is in charge, same guys who did The Lord of the Rings).
Old 08-23-2006, 01:50 AM

im sorry yukie im not gonna insult you for a month, you messaged me with 1 insult a suggestion and 3 hearts...that balances out to like 2 1/2 hearts if my math is right....

Old 08-23-2006, 08:13 AM
EoE Modeller

Kinjo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kinjo

Evangelion is being made by Kiwis
(weta studio who did King Kong and LOTR )

So even though Peter Jackson aint directing it I am confident it wont completely suck cus its pretty much his posse working on it.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:57 AM

Eva ftw!!! (im no anime nut but i know that much!)

I hate how they make movies off stuff like that...you cant continue eva...it ended...and thats all there is to it..nothin more!