Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki > History and Culture

History and Culture Discuss Japanese history and culture here

Old 04-25-2005, 08:15 PM

Gryph is on a distinguished road
Default Feudal Japan, From the Top (Discussion thread)

This thread is for discussion of the posts here: http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=158 .

Any reccomendations, ideas, help, editing, or discussion, etc. belongs here.

Please, no spamming.

Mods, if it is not to much to ask, please sticky this thread.
Also, any problems in content that need to be fixed due to being deemed inappropriate should be pointed out here to restrict the spamming on the main thread.

Thankyou in advance or your contributions,
-Gryph

Last edited by Gryph; 04-25-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Samurai

Zyke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feudal Japan, From the Top (Discussion thread)

Good thread, and I plan to add to it. It's getting a little late, so maybe tomorrow or the day after, depending on if I have time, I'll write about something. Good idea though- I've always been a huge history fan and Japanese history has always been my favorite subject in History as a whole.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Ninjitsu Master

KazeKuroi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KazeKuroi Send a message via Yahoo to KazeKuroi

This is for you gryph...

"Shinto- Religion and Theology:
Shinto is the Sino-Japanese reading of two ideograms that are rendered into pure Japanse by the term, Kami-no-Michi, Meaning "the way of the Kami" or "The way of the Gods." Shinto thus signifies the characteristic cult practices and beliefs, relating for the most part to worship of the indigeneous Japanese Deities, wereby the Japanese people have celebrated, dramatized, interpeted, and suported the chief values of their group life.

The term Shinto in its proper historical usage does not carry us back to the earliest manafestations of the Japanese national religion. The word does not appear in literature until the latter part of the sixth century of the Western Era. In its more remote stages Shinto as a system appears to have been nameless. The designation came into existance after the introduction of buddhism into Japan and was evidently created in orter to distinguish the original Japanese cultes from the Way of Buddha.

Modern Shinto has two main branches. The one has special relations with the official organization of the national life. The other is dependent entirely on the voluntary support of adherents for institutional maintenance and propaganda. The former is generally called State (Kokka) Shinto, sometimes Shrine (Jinja) Shinto because of having its ritualistic center in the shrines or Jinja; the latter is designated Sectarian (Shuha) Shinto. Both branches have received influences from the parentstream of the ancient cultus, the former more directly and, on the whole, in more unmixed character then the latter. Modern exponents of the state system generally insist that the ceremonies and beliefs connected with the shrines represent the true and uncontaminated line of pure Shinto, while the sectarian form has been more or less modified by foreign infiltrations and the contributions of founders and other teachers. On the other hand, adherents of the sects have occasionally declared that they alon preserve the true and original Shinto and that the state cultus may not inexactly be regarded as another sect, officially spnsered and claiming nation-wide allegiance.

The Shinto of the people exists in the form of thirteen officially recognized sects and numerous sub-sects. The thriteen sects are: Shinto Honkyoku ("Main Bureau Shinto," sometimes also called Shinto Kyo or "Shinto Teaching") Shinri Kyo ("Divine Reason Teaching") Taisha Kyo ("Great Shrine Teaching" after the great shrine of the sect at Izumo), Shusei Ha ("Society for Improvement and Consolidation"), Taisei Kyo ("Great Accomplishment Teaching"), Jikko Kyo ("Practical Conduct Teaching"), Fuso Kyo (from Fuso, a poetical name for Japan), Mitake Kyo ("Great Mountain Teaching," after the sacred peak of Ontake), Shinshu Kyo ("Purification Teaching"), Kurozumi Kyo (after the name of the founder, Kurozumi Munetada), Konko Kyo ("The Teaching of the Glory of the Unifying God"), and Tenri Kyo ("Heavenly Reason Teaching").
"

And I am tired of typing.. You want more info buy the book =p The book contains several pages on Buddhism as well...

The book came out in 1945 so I am not sure if you will be able to find it easily. Good luck!

Last edited by Mayz; 04-26-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Wiki Editor

Arrak is on a distinguished road

If anyone wants very old text on Japan and Religion in Japan Project Gutenberg is a great source. It has thousands of old out of print books that cover just about any subject you could think of. Just a suggestion!

Project Gutenberg

Tozansha (Mouko Gouzoku)
Old 04-26-2005, 04:22 PM

Thanks.

EDIT: Wrote an essay on Shinto and posted it. Review and if appropriate critisism would be appriciated by people who know more than I.

Last edited by Gryph; 04-26-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Ninjitsu Master

KazeKuroi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KazeKuroi Send a message via Yahoo to KazeKuroi

First Post:
The first paragraph is sort of redundant, and should get a bit more detailed in the evolutionary process of Shinto.

In the last paragraph Samurai is spelled wrong.

I am not an editor so I can't tell you percisely whats wrong with it... but thats what stands out to me. =p
Old 04-27-2005, 02:14 PM

fixed.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Shogun of all Japan

connick is on a distinguished road

Arrak!

Quote:
If anyone wants very old text on Japan and Religion in Japan Project Gutenberg is a great source. It has thousands of old out of print books that cover just about any subject you could think of. Just a suggestion!
The Gutenberg Project is one of the best, if not the very best web site on the internet! I also very ardently suggest everyone make a stop at their site! Read Sun Tzu's Art of War while you are there.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:23 PM

I'm quite dissappointed. I am neither willing nor able to write this whole thing on my own.

Anyhow, I've been out for a long while with exams, but with luck will get an essay written this weekend.

Essay contributions would be appriciated.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try to drag up some information, but for now I suggest you use wikipedia.org - its such a great resource / site...