Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki > History and Culture

History and Culture Discuss Japanese history and culture here

Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 PM

water737 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to water737
Default Re: My Wado Ryu Sensei

thanks
Old 04-01-2007, 11:53 AM

brutan is on a distinguished road

OMG were you really born in 1928?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM

Manabe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
Well if he considered the Emperor his retainer(think thats the right word unless reatianer is what he is to the Emperor, lol its been awhile since i read Hagakure), I could see him dying for him.
Liege, not retainer. The Emperor would be the liege lord, and anyone who serves him would be the retainer. I consider the Hagakure to be a horrible whine-fest. "OMG. The old days were so much better whinewhinewhine." I hate reading it (not to mention that it's always mis-quoted.) I stick to the bushido shoshinshu. Much more down to earth.

Now, 1928 born. That's 2 years into Showa. That means the small blossom of democracy from the Taishô era is already dying. He'd enter school around 1934. By that time Japan is already expanding and the schools are already on the nationalist train. Nope, sorry, what he learned at school is not feudal bushido. Maybe his parents did the job back home, but schools in 1934 were already on the "let's die happily for the emperor" BS.

Samurai never looked at their masters as gods. In fact, a samurai had the duty to stop his master from doing stupid things (after all, it's not really about the master, but ultimately about the existence of the clan, if the master does something dumb that may endanger the clan, then the samurai has the duty to bring it up, blind obedience is not the goal of feudal bushido, since it would endanger the whole clan.) Something that doesn't appear in the military's version of bushido, where the soldiers must follow every and all orders, no matter how stupid.