Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki > History and Culture

History and Culture Discuss Japanese history and culture here

Old 11-10-2006, 03:54 PM

SunWuKong has a spectacular aura aboutSunWuKong has a spectacular aura about
Default 16th Century Quotes

Quotes from Japanese historical figures. Go here for Zen quotes.

"Generally speaking, the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death”
- Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit.”

“Do nothing which is of no use.”

“Aspire to be like Mt. Fuji, with such a broad and solid foundation that the strongest earthquake cannot move you, and so tall that the greatest enterprises of common men seem insignificant from your lofty perspective. With your mind as high as Mt Fuji you can see all things clearly. And you can see all the forces that shape events; not just the things happening near to you.”

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy.... It is said the warrior's is the twofold Way of pen and sword, and he should have a taste for both Ways."

"Students of the Ichi school Way of strategy should train from the start with the sword and long sword in either hand. This is a truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

"In strategy your spiritual bearing must not be any different from normal. Both in fighting and in everday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased."

"If the enemy thinks of the mountains, attack like the sea; and if he thinks of the sea, attack like the mountains."

"If we watch men of other schools discussing theory, and concentrating on techniques with the hands, even though they seem skillfull to watch, they have not the slightest true spirit."

Last edited by SunWuKong; 11-15-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Re: 16th Century Quotes

"Give the peasants neither life nor death."
- Tokugawa Ieyasu (1543 - 1616)

"Life means that I can live to see tomorrow."

"When you go into the country hawking, you learn to understand the military spirit and also the hard life of the lower classes. You exercise your muscles and train your limbs. You have any amount of walking and running and become quite indifferent to heat and cold, and so you are little likely to suffer from any illness."

"Life is like unto a long journey with a heavy burden. Let thy step be slow and steady, that thou stumble not. Persuade thyself that imperfection and inconvenience are the natural lot of mortals, and there will be no room for discontent, neither for despair. When ambitious desires arise in thy heart, recall the days of extremity thou has passed through. Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. Look upon the wrath of the enemy. If thou knowest only what it is to conquer, and knowest not what it is like to be defeated, woe unto thee; it will fare ill with thee. Find fault with thyself rather than with others."

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience. Patience means restraining one's inclinations. There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, love, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience."
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought."
- Matsuo Basho, 16th century Japanese poet

"A man with deep far-sightedness will survey both the beginning and the end of a situation and continually consider its every facet as important."
- Takeda Shingen (1521-1573)

"No matter whether a person belongs to the upper or lower ranks, if he has not put his life on the line at least once he has cause for shame."
- Nabeshima Naoshige (1538-1618)
Old 03-18-2007, 03:51 AM

IshidaMitsunari is on a distinguished road

My favorite is the one featured on Ishida Mitsunari's banner-

"Dai Ichi Dai Man Dai Kichi"

I don't know the exact translation, but it means something along the lines of "If the people work for a leader, and the leader works for a person, then the land will prosper." My other favorite quote comes from Mitsunari's enemy, the great Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu:

"After victory tighten the helmet cord."

I don't think he invented the quote, but he said it after the battle of Sekigahara. In the aftermath of that great fight, he pursued and rounded up all of his political enemies in a very swift period of time. Soon he was master over all Japan (after he took care of Osaka and stuff).
Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 AM

"Wars are to be won with swords and spears, not with rice and salt."
-Uesugi Kenshin (1530 - 1578)
Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Ninjitsu Master

hessan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hessan

I'm going to diversify the cultural representation of this thread.

"A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
-Niccolò Machiavelli The Prince (1469-1527)

“You must not abandon the ship in a storm because you cannot control the winds….What you cannot turn to good, you must at least make as little bad as you can.”
-Sir Thomas More Utopia (1478-1535)

"For historians ought to be precise, truthful, and quite unprejudiced, and neither interest nor fear, hatred nor affection, should cause them to swerve from the path of truth, whose mother is history, the rival of time, the depository of great actions, the witness of what is past, the example and instruction of the present, the monitor of the future."
-Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

"To be a king and wear a crown is a thing more glorious to them that see it than it is pleasant to them that bear it. "
-Elizabeth I (1533-1603)

"Though the sex to which I belong is considered weak you will nevertheless find me a rock that bends to no wind."
-Elizabeth I (1533-1603)