Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

Eyes Out Entertainment Forums (http://www.eoeforums.com/index.php)
-   General (http://www.eoeforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   dojo? family? necessary for your own style? (http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=2848)

Shichi 12-10-2006 05:35 PM

dojo? family? necessary for your own style?

What if I want my own style of fighting but I don't want to belong to a family or have an official dojo. Like maybe I want to be a hermit in the hills that is also a master swordsman that no one even knows. I would need a way in game to make up the style without like building a dojo so to speak. I ask this because I was reading the wiki and it made me believe that unless I belonged to a family and had a dojo I couldn't learn which would be uncool for certain character types. Or if it is a programming necessity to have a dojo could I make it a secret dojo like a cave somewhere so that it would fit the character's background story?

Telsist 12-11-2006 12:38 AM

Re: dojo? family? necessary for your own style?

Good Question. Sykoi?

SunWuKong 12-11-2006 11:27 AM

Dojo are just the 'easy' way to learn techniques/styles.
From what I remember -
Anyone will be able to find their own. They just have to try different key combos until they find moves, and ones they like.

Found these from a ways back:
Quote:

First of all, how would one go about training these skills/special moves? I think being able to create your own fighting skills should be a long process, just like in real life. To start off, a player can join a school to learn that school's basic style (this can be applied to crafting weapons, armors, clothing, etc.) and study there for quite some time; not too long where creating your skills becomes almost impossible, but long enough to where it is a priviledge. Once you have learned what you needed to learn from the school you can go out and start creating your skill. If you're creating a sword skill, you need constant practice with your sword until you perfect it. ...
This is more or less how we planned to make 'create your own fighting style' ingame (Basically just add a lot of money into your mixture (To prevent thousands of styles), and tweak a few things - and you have our base concept)

We hope to allow players to create their own stances / martial art styles; but we'll try to make it so each weapon has a different stance type.

Raku 12-11-2006 04:09 PM

Sounds good to me, i just hope for a wooden katana.

dejan84 02-19-2007 11:09 AM

what about putting some hidden "old ancient" masters in some very remote areas. That could teach those that find them. Off course you should implement some silly nonsence, like the master refusing to teach you if you have strongly opposing moral views or something like that. I think its necessary that these hidden trainers will provide some major benifits. So that the players wont come into town and tell everyone where they learned this great new skill.
hehe i used the "magnificent" Kick-Boxer with van damme as an inspiration for this post:D

LP
Dejan

Arakawa Nobuaki 02-19-2007 12:38 PM

Yuck at Jean Claude van "Damn I can't act".

However, when you look at history, Musashi, for example, didn't have a dojo or a family when he worked on his style. He just travelled up and down the country and took on the Yoshioka (who had a dojo and a family).

Wooden katana... try a bokken :P

Daikomo 02-24-2007 03:35 PM

I like this idea alot.. like a having hidden instructors that could teach armed and unarmed kombat..

Can disarm people. like with aikido or daito ryu. don't know if anyone has asked this..

Tatsuke 03-04-2007 11:10 AM

I loved the idea of creating you're move and all, but you can created a GOOD move if you don't practice it on people, that's why I think creating you're style style as an hermit should be really difficult, cause you're only chance to practice move would be in real fights with criminal and stuff and it's really dangerous to try something you don't know if it can be effective.

HeniuriSaito 03-10-2007 07:55 AM

Well. Actually, the idea of testind out on people is for your reflexes and strenght, what you really need on a fight... But you train alone in the air, to get the grip and all you want to do and all, and to really know any good and bad about that technique or something like that... so, I think the "test on people" part is up to you, as it will train you to real fights and everything for you, you train alone to know what you're doing.... Well I hope it's like that...

Tenshin 03-10-2007 07:52 PM

True, if you train alone, you're training the movement, form and techniques specifically, whereas when you train with someone else, you test and learn of the practical applications and how their body moves in response to your techniques.