Sad news [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : Sad news

Zorbon
01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9851644-7.html?tag=nefd.top

sun microsystems, has purchased mySQL...

i hope sun burns it self on this deal and hopefully those folks at mysql who sold out *@#&*@*#$@&#$&@#.

where is a new webdata base when ya need one

Sykoi
01-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I was saddened by this :( I'm tempted to switch all my code to use another DB, but sadly Sun owns all the good ones now.

Kurisu
01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Indeed sad news... Maybe Sun is going the Microsoft-way. I don't hope so though...

Gheari
01-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Um... explain please?

Kurisu
01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Investing a lot of money to get a monopoly-like situation.

Zorbon
01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Sun = horrible company... makers of JAVA, Solaris, SPARC architecture etc. Most of their products are junk, so they try to monopolize certain areas(like webdata bases) to lure people onto their products(sparc-solaris servers). I personally think they're worse than microsoft. why? because sun hasn't really done anything good for computing in recent times. (you might be able to argue their supercomputing stuff)

mySQL = webdata base, backbone of the internet. We use it, google uses, youtube, bankofamerica, pretty much anywhere anything is stored, it's most likely in mySQL. Their product (mySQL) is open source, they sell the service and support behind it. They're pretty profitable, and looking at making a public stock offer, but i guess the chair/investor board rather sell out than sell off.

Gheari
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Sun = horrible company... makers of JAVA, Solaris, SPARC architecture etc. Most of their products are junk, so they try to monopolize certain areas(like webdata bases) to lure people onto their products(sparc-solaris servers). I personally think they're worse than microsoft. why? because sun hasn't really done anything good for computing in recent times.

mySQL = webdata base, backbone of the internet. We use it, google uses, youtube, bankofamerica, pretty much anywhere anything is stored, it's most likely in mySQL. Their product (mySQL) is open source, they sell the service and support behind it. They're pretty profitable, and looking at making a public stock offer, but i guess the chair/investor board rather sell out than sell off.

Thank you that was very helpful, I had no idea what those companies are/were.

Investing a lot of money to get a monopoly-like situation.

I figured that out fairly easily.

Kurisu
01-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Ooh, right sorry Gheari = S

To give you an example of where MySQL is used: You register for a game at a website. Your information are stored in the MySQL database of that site, like your username and password or maybe your mail. If it's a more advanced website or a forum it stores your preferences, signature... All possible things you want it to remember. This allows you to log in or playing the game for example(the site's and the game's databases would be linked). But it's just an example, just to show how important it is.
You can be pretty sure that nearly every site where you registered uses a MySQL database.

Kurosaki
02-02-2008, 01:47 AM
I despise MySQL... Confused me to no end when ive used it in the past. Now im an Oracle guy all the way! Who knows, maybe //very small maybe// SUN might improve MySQL abit.

//Side Note - If anyone needs any help with Java / Javascript / C# / CSS / SQL / VB let me know, i'l see what I can do. (This degree's starting to make sense :P) and hi folks, long time no post!

Kurisu
02-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Improve?! If they really would they'd probably charge for an update.

Zorbon
02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
what's worse is microsoft's bid on yahoo...

Kurisu
02-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Haha, maybe microsoft will cooperate with google...

Raku
02-04-2008, 02:58 AM
what's worse is microsoft's bid on yahoo...

now thats sad.

Ebisu
03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah I was just enlightened to all of Microsoft's recent anti-trust cases. I had no idea they were so aggresive and anticompetitive. Disgusting. Til then I didn't know what to think of Bill Gates really. This is a bit off topic, but Bill Gates donated large sums of money to this group called the Partners in Population and Development. They are a nongovernment organization (NGO) with observer status at the UN, which means U.S. cash contributions to the UN go in part to this group. This is a scary group of folks, and a small part of a broader picture.
Check it.. http://www.south-south-ppd.org/abt_strategic_plan.asp
That's their plan of action. Read on page 13 specifically, under "changes in global population structure." These are men who plan to make global population control their business, and Bill Gates is interested in pushing their agenda. You can see his foundation among their primary patrons on the website.

I looked into linux after learning about the microsoft antitrust debacle, but you can't do much with it in comparison to Windows. Emails, mmos, IM, pretty much everything is much more easily accessible through the microsoft monopoly software, sadly.

Zorbon
03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
I looked into linux after learning about the microsoft antitrust debacle, but you can't do much with it in comparison to Windows. Emails, mmos, IM, pretty much everything is much more easily accessible through the microsoft monopoly software, sadly.

how so? as a linux user i've been able to do everything you can do in windows, easier, secure, and much less resource cost.

not to mention a lot of the programs you use in windows have linux counterparts, Firefox, Thunderbird, Skype etc, or have programs that do everything you'd want, like pidgin which does IM for almost every IM protocol.

and if there isn't a linux ports for the software you wish to run, well guess what, you can still utilize the windows api and run windows programs (see wine, and cedega(which will support dx10 soon) in fact about the only programs i've ever had a problem running in linux are horrible programs require .net, and anything that directly calls the window's kernal (3dsm).

I suggest you research a bit more, sounds to me a your a bit off the facts.

Vahn
03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Ooo! I am going to put in my two cents about Linux and Windows, regardless of whether or not anybody cares! This is going to be awesome. Or it's not. One of the two, I bet.

Ebisu - Z has a point.

Z - Ebisu has a point when he used the words "..much more easily accessible on windows.." (paraphrased).

I have a PC running Windows, a Laptop running Windows, and a Laptop running Linux. I am just starting to delve into the world of W.I.N.E., which is both unbelievably fantastic, and somewhat frustrating at the same time. In addition, the plethora of Equivalent-To programs on Linux is amazing, and a big fat ball of hope in the world of future computing.

For "average" computer users with "average" knowledge of computers and programming (average is in quotes to signify it is MY meaning of it -- basically anybody who is between myself and say, my mother - who I have to show how to print things to - on the Computer Knowledge Scale) Linux just isn't as viable an option for games and accessibility.

Yes, you can do just about everything on Linux that you can on Windows, but often times it takes a little computer know-how to get it done; mounting things, creating executables to run programs, all the pseudo-code (and sudo code!) to get games working in W.I.N.E. and other stuff to work, etc are all doable, all have documentation you can find online. It is, however, still much more advanced than an "average" user may want to deal with.

Z happens to be a huge nerd, and his brain wraps around concepts of computers very easily - Linux makes total sense for him, and is a perfectly viable option. My brain, does not easily wrap around anything related to the field of mathematics in any major and blatantly obvious way (aside from music).

So, while I agree with what Z said about the options of Linux and how some people may want to research a little more before forming an opinion, and while I am interested in Linux and casually learning some of it as I go -- I also agree with Ebisu that Linux, at it's current stage, is not nearly as accessible for everyday use AND gaming as Windows is. Sad? Sure. True? In my life, yes.

Also, run-on sentences ftw. The End.

Ebisu
03-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Hehe. The matter seems close to your heart Zorbon. My understanding of linux is indeed very limited. A friend of mine has worked with it and vouched for it over the years, so he is who I went to with my questions. I suppose my tendency is to rely on human interaction for info first if I believe expertise is available. Obviously there are drawbacks to this approach. It is good to know I don't need windows for gaming, as that was the primary reason for my putting off digging into linux.

Kurisu
03-26-2008, 03:57 AM
I guess I really should get another harddrive if I want to install Linux, 140 GB aren't enough... But I think the time I had to sacrifice is well worth it.

Zorbon
03-26-2008, 12:17 PM
err, i don't see how it's hard.

my mom uses linux, to install a program, she clicks install a program on her desktop, then she gets a gui menu with a list of programs she can install, if she wants a game, she types games, and ta da a list of games appears. She clicks the one she wants and bam, it downloads and installs without any hassles.

linux is as easy as you want it to be, and as hard as you want it to be.

the thing is people are lazy and they don't like change.

moses
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I can tell you that when I had ubuntu I had trouble installing stuff on it. Everything that came with it worked great but it did take some getting used to having to mount and stuff, but I could honestly not figure out how to install anything :-\

Vahn
03-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Zorbon - Explain to me how installing, say, Heroes of Might and Magic IV is easy... I finally got it, but I had a heck of a time getting it up and running, and it Does have a few issues - still playable though, and that's all I ask (with that particular game).

Yes, Linux "comes with game options" just like Windows PCs or Macs; but Ebisu is talking about being a Windows user and gamer, and trying to view Linux as a viable option. W.I.N.E. is the answer, and W.I.N.E. is NOT necessarily easy to use. It's possible to get a huge variety of Windows games running on Linux through W.I.N.E., but often it requires quite a bit of know-how. That's what I meant about how it can be hard.

That said, I agree with Z's comment about laziness. I'm learning to use Linux. It takes effort, and as such I'm not mastering it in a week, but rather tackling a problem casually whenever I come across it. My Linux box is not my primary computer, so that slows down my learning as well. And, really, the only reason Linux is "hard"(er) for me is because I am approaching it as a longtime Windows gamer and musician. All the everyday apps we run - email, IMs, web browsing, casual games, etc... are all incredibly easy to find, use, and install -- it's the gaming and music that requires effort on my part.

Zorbon
03-26-2008, 06:08 PM
http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/wiki/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_V

follow step by step...

type into bash: mount -t udf /mnt/cdrom (depending on your window client you could just click the cdrom drive)

"Heroes V complains that it can't find the dll file named d3dx9_25.dll, and won't start.
Install the DirectX 9 update found on the DVD. "

sounds really hard huh?

Vahn
03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Heroes IV. That means Four :) Nice try though.

Also, my comment about pseudo-code includes things like: "mount -t udf /mnt/cdrom"

Also, for Battle of Wesnoth, a fun little indie...strategy...rpg...thing, you have to create your own executable (a requirement I've found to be quite common...among indie games...but only in the Linux versions), which first requires acquiring a few libraries online, and then some pseudo-code.

"really hard"? No, not at all. Hard for the "average" (again, my definition) Windows user? Absolutely.

Like I said - you "get" this stuff...not all of us do. Just take a look at your major in college - I can't wrap my brain around most of the titles of your classes, let alone what you're actually supposed to learn in them.

I'm not saying Linux is bad - I use it. I'm just saying for some people, which obviously does not include you or your mother, Linux is "harder" than Windows. I also mentioned I got Heroes IV up and running, it just took some hassle (hassle, in comparison, with clicking "install" and waiting, on Windows).

BUT WE DIGRESS. Back to Sad News. Any Sad News lately? Other than my sleep schedule this week?

Zorbon
03-26-2008, 07:46 PM
http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/wiki/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_IV

seems a little easier ^,~

Ebisu
03-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Zorbon you seem sour about something, maybe a little spiteful. Do you have some more sad news you need to get off your chest? This is the perfect place, after all! :D

Kurisu
03-27-2008, 04:53 AM
The other sad news is that he has no clue what his classes are about because he in just like 30% of the classes.

Zorbon
03-27-2008, 11:29 AM
The other sad news is that he has no clue what his classes are about because he in just like 30% of the classes.
:D

i tend to have streaks of grumpiness, generally they don't boil over into the forums, but i've been pretty grumpy...

It's that time of the month.....

rent's due

Ebisu
03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Ouch, sorry man, didn't know! :D