Awesom DOS samurai game [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : Awesom DOS samurai game

Gheari
01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
***EDIT ZORBON:: Sword of the Samurai is copyrighted by an ESA member (former the IDSA), or its subsidiary thereof. Linking to it would be considered wares, and could get eoe and affiliates in legal trouble...***

Before you download this game make a folder in c:\ with a title like oldgames or dosgames. This is a rar but it doesn't have a folder so make a subfolder and name it SOTS before you extract, then extract it to the folder you just made. Click on the DOSbox icon in the page that I've linked to you just above the download this game button click on get it under the DOSbox logo and download it. After you have downloaded DOSbox put it in your c:\ file (for convenience).

This game works much better on DOSbox (it runs on windows but it freezes when your first rival dies or resigns) don't worry I'll give you a short tutorial on how to use DOSbox.

Click on the DOSbox shortcut and after it loads type mount a C:\oldgames (a can be any letter but for this demonstration it is a for drive a also oldgames must be the name of the that keeps your game folders LESS THAN 8 LETTERS!!!) then type c: to activate the drive, press cd SOTS (caps lock doesn't matter) then type in samurai. If this doesn't work either I explained it wrong or you made a mistake, you will learn fast I just started yesterday and now have it memorized.

Please take this for what it is, it is from 1989 and the graphics are decent for the time however please don't focus on them the gameplay is extraordinary.

There is a manual on the page I linked you to.

EDIT:
This game uses the arrow keys and space on the menus the arrow keys and enter in a melee, the arrow keys, numbers and enter in duels and the number keys, - and = on the battlefield screen.

For the best, and least maddening experience you should, when on the entrance screen hit n 2 then 1.

Vahn
01-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Hah, nice find Gheari!

I frequent abandonia.com, as well as their sister site abandonia-reloaded...never came across this little gem though, thanks for pointing it out!

Zorbon
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Sword of the Samurai is copyrighted by an ESA member (former the IDSA), or its subsidiary thereof. Linking to it would be considered wares, and could get eoe and affiliates in legal trouble...

that being said, it's a fun game, beat it a million times when i was like 6

Vahn
01-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Abandonia usually doesn't allow their games to be downloaded if the laws over that are still in effect.

However Zorbon, good call, in respect to being safe. Sorry I didn't catch on to that.

Gheari
01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
You said an ESA member I assumed you meant Entertainment Software Association, but I must ask you which one it is. I need to check the copyrights on it just to make sure.

Zorbon
01-04-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.theesa.com/

microprose was a member of the said group, and also the publisher of sos
microprose was bough out by hasbro. However anything attached to Sid Meier is very risky. He reuses most of his games, the companies who own the rights are huge and greedy, and he's very popular.

Abandonia usually doesn't allow their games to be downloaded if the laws over that are still in effect.

abandonware is illegal unless given the consent of the publisher. Esa is an enforcer of piracy laws, much like the RIAA/MPAA etc.

( i used to run an abandonware dc 7 years ago or so)