Sykoi
12-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Information:

Release: 12/30/07
Latest update: 12/31/07
Version: 0.2a

Requires:

Japanese language support.
Javascript 2.0 (I believe) support... If you can run Gmail, Google maps, or other AJAX sites - you will most likely be able to run this.

Description
Well, I've got an alpha version of it up... Enjoy (http://www.simplescript.net/workns/learnjap) and be sure to report any bugs you find! This especially goes for those of you who know your hiragana.
There are absolutely no guarantees that the hiragana and romaji tie together properly right now! This is what I need tested, so play with it to no end, report bugs, suggest features, etc.

Upcoming features:

More kana (Only ~20 as of 0.1a)
Ability to select kana sets to quiz you on (Vowels, k, s, etc.)
A flashcard area (To practice)
A user system to track progress and help select kana sets you're having problems with

Reporting errors:
Please make sure to include your Operating System, browser, and explain what the problem is in full.

Changelog

0.2a - 12/31/07

Added "Last kana" box
Fixed some potential bugs

0.1a - 12/30/07

Created the script

Vahn
12-30-2007, 09:31 PM
It does not keep track of Correct and Incorrect answers, but rather reads 0 for both regardless of how many I answer (I've tried answering incorrectly too, no dice).

Sykoi
12-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Thats odd, what browser are you using?

moses
12-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I believe its because you have to click outside the box instead of pressing enter. I was having the same problem but clicked out of text box and its working fine. Im in firefox.

Sykoi
12-30-2007, 11:53 PM
It only checks .5 seconds after you're done typing, so you type the romaji, wait a bit - and it checks (So you can't cheat and it doesn't kill the server).

Another thing is that the host that I'm using now is slow at times.

Zorbon
12-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Nothing like jolt powered... =\

Sykoi
12-31-2007, 12:54 AM
It isn't on Jolt's servers, its on a shared host I'm paying for with my own money, to host my own sites :P

Vahn
12-31-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm on Firefox.

Also:

Ooooh, I see now. I was going too fast for it, haha. Now that I know to wait, it works just fine!

Zorbon
12-31-2007, 03:38 PM
It isn't on Jolt's servers, its on a shared host I'm paying for with my own money, to host my own sites :P

I know, i was saying your site doesn't run anywhere near as fast as a jolt server! ^^

Raku
12-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Where can i get Japanese language support? I cbf looking right now :(

Zorbon
12-31-2007, 06:22 PM
your install disk are the only place to get em for microsoft os

Sykoi
12-31-2007, 06:24 PM
You can get them from the M$ site as well, I believe... There are several tutorials online for getting them.

Update! Changelog updated as well

Vahn
12-31-2007, 07:11 PM
I went through getting a few right and wrong, everything is functioning properly.

I really like the new feature that shows you the past hiragana.
I also like that you require the student to input the correct romaji when they've answered incorrectly, before moving on.

This little project is progressing nicely :)

Trin
12-31-2007, 08:03 PM
it's looking good. I'm using XP with Firefox Beta 3 (Build 2), and sadly, the cursor doesn't stick to the entry box when it moves to the next kana, and the correct/incorrect score board doesn't change. Might be a Beta 3 issue.

Also, my Japanese has improved a ton in the last 2 years, so I'm more than happy to help out with adding stuff.

I can also help a bit with colloquial kansai specific language to some extent.

Here are a few ideas:

1) multiple choice questions - english word presented, pick the correct word. Lower levels would be in kana (hiragana or katakana), higher levels in kanji or compound kanji.

2) Furigana creation - For higher levels, you could ask users to write the furigana for kanji in either a word or a sentence. This is especially helpful for aspiring manga translators.

3) Find the mistake: Give a word that has either a kana or kanji mistake in it, and write the correction. I would personally love this, because I get too complacent when reading signs here in Japan, and often don't notice the subtle difference between two kanji.

Oh yes, also, 明けましておめでとう! Happy New Year!