http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOFwmVM8g8E

(Also, i cant wait for 300! HOOAH!)

Zorbon
03-04-2007, 11:23 PM
bleh, i've always thought halo was retarded

bad enough they attach the trailer of 300 to it =\

Raku
03-04-2007, 11:42 PM
I agree with the Halo bit, but man, 300 just gets me :) Half naked dudes in capes with swords fighting off armies full of ninjas - it just makes sense.

(Not exactly ninjas, but some part of some army were modeled with inspiration from ninjas and ancient japan :))

moses
03-05-2007, 12:02 AM
i believe you are talking about the immortals.

#1 they werent ninjas.
#2 the battle of thermopoylae (which 300 is based off of) is like my favorite all time battle ever... it was fricken fantastic.
#3 just fyi their capes are red so the enemycant tell if they are bleeding or not :-P
#4 i cant wait for the movie either!

Masamune
03-05-2007, 01:10 AM
I agree with the Halo bit, but man, 300 just gets me :) Half naked dudes in capes with swords fighting off armies full of ninjas - it just makes sense.

(Not exactly ninjas, but some part of some army were modeled with inspiration from ninjas and ancient japan :))

Um... why would they have been modeled off of ninjas and ancient Japan when this is the Spartans against the Persian army, hundreds of years before Japan could even think about the concept of ninjas? I dunno what you're trying to say :P

not sure if Frank Miller used ninjas as inspiration. But at least they're somewhat clothed in this, they were naked in the comic except for the capes.

Raku
03-05-2007, 02:15 AM
As for the Persian army’s elite Immortals, “They [look] like ninjas because Frank loves Japanese art,” Snyder sums up. For him and for Miller, cool visuals and the spirit of the legend were more important than historical accuracy.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/inside-3003.htm

I R pwn moses nd lyk masamune yeah lolz :)

Masamune
03-05-2007, 03:30 AM
I declare Frank Miller to be a douche bag, let's all follow his idea and make uber machine guns in Tatsumaki because cool visuals are more important than historical accuracy :P

Raku
03-05-2007, 04:33 AM
Err... i think youve got the wrong idea lol.

Also, its a movie not a game, and i agree with him on this case :P.

Masamune
03-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Duh, do you think I'm an idiot? Of course I know it's a movie, hahaha, there's ads for it on TV practically 24/7 :P What I'm saying is by his and Snyder's example, it is better to have cool visuals even if it's not historically accurate. So... for example, lets say I like werewolves, well, I'm going to make the Persian Immortals look like werewolves because I think it looks cool even though it's not accurate whatsoever. That kind of stuff leads to the crap we see in hollywood more and more nowadays and it pisses me off. Yes, you can be inspired and influenced, but when it gets to the point where people think that they ARE ninjas (you didn't even know they were Persian Immortals) then you're going too far. It's prying off the ignorance of others and it's frusterating because now a bunch of people are probably going to watch the movie and they have no clue what it is about.

The Blades armor of Oblivion had a Japanese/Roman influence to it, did I think they were one or the other? No. Obviously if people think that 300 is about them fighting an army of ninjas then well, something must be wrong.

selmo
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
halo is lame...300 looks badass but why did they slap a trailer for somthing awsome with some bad..they just end upw ith somthing mediocre....though Trin did write a blog about the comparisons of halo and the spartans interesting! cant wait for the movie

Raku
03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Duh, do you think I'm an idiot? Of course I know it's a movie, hahaha, there's ads for it on TV practically 24/7 :P What I'm saying is by his and Snyder's example, it is better to have cool visuals even if it's not historically accurate. So... for example, lets say I like werewolves, well, I'm going to make the Persian Immortals look like werewolves because I think it looks cool even though it's not accurate whatsoever. That kind of stuff leads to the crap we see in hollywood more and more nowadays and it pisses me off. Yes, you can be inspired and influenced, but when it gets to the point where people think that they ARE ninjas (you didn't even know they were Persian Immortals) then you're going too far. It's prying off the ignorance of others and it's frusterating because now a bunch of people are probably going to watch the movie and they have no clue what it is about.

The Blades armor of Oblivion had a Japanese/Roman influence to it, did I think they were one or the other? No. Obviously if people think that 300 is about them fighting an army of ninjas then well, something must be wrong.

Okay i see your point, and i agree.

Id just like to put in for my defense, that i knew they were the Persian Immortals (the elite fighting crew of the gigantic Persian army), and that i wrote the post in a way that would make me look like one of those dudes thats always like "Hey dude - ninjas!" contrary to "Hey dude - Persian Immortals". :)

Arakawa Nobuaki
03-06-2007, 03:37 AM
300 looks even worse than Troy. No phalanxes? Oivech... War Rhinos? Merciful gods... Are they even wearing chest armor? I see none.

A movie about the last stand like the Sharpe Series would be great, but this... dear god. Van Helsing meets Sparta... yikes... There I was, thinking that Hollywood can't get any worse after Titanic, Last Samurai, Pearl Harbor and Memoirs of a Geisha and now this.

As for the "ninja", if the filmmakers would have done some research, then they'd know that assassins like that were used in the Middle East for a while even before the Crusades. The term "assassin" even comes from them.

Raku
03-06-2007, 04:11 AM
Wow. I take it you really enjoy your history? :P

Arakawa Nobuaki
03-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Now what gives you that impression :P

moses
03-06-2007, 09:04 AM
the chest armor thing...

Yesm its true they did have breast plates and the like but many Greek warriors also fought nude *shrug* As for phanlaxes I thought i saw a few in the trailer, but I coulda been mistaken. And for the ninja/assassins, yes they were used in the Crusades and before, but the last stand was quite a long time before the Crusades. So while they did have covert operations, I dont think there was so much a "assassin" type person as there was just an above average sneaky warrior. Think about odyessus and Diomedes in the Trojan Wars, when the snuck into the enemy camps. Both were just normal soldiers who volunteered, and Dolon the Trojan spy was picked because he was fast and could outrun must people *shrug* Not exactly your assassins of choice ;-)

As for it not being very accurate, I agree. There is a lot of things (such as the Goblin guys or whatever the hell they are lol) that arent accurate at all. But remember this is based off the comic book and not the actual Battle of Thermopylae.

Also, I really liked Last Samurai :-P May not have been that accurate but still liked the movie overall.

Zorbon
03-06-2007, 02:04 PM
300 looks even worse than Troy. No phalanxes? Oivech... War Rhinos? Merciful gods... Are they even wearing chest armor? I see none.

A movie about the last stand like the Sharpe Series would be great, but this... dear god. Van Helsing meets Sparta... yikes... There I was, thinking that Hollywood can't get any worse after Titanic, Last Samurai, Pearl Harbor and Memoirs of a Geisha and now this.

As for the "ninja", if the filmmakers would have done some research, then they'd know that assassins like that were used in the Middle East for a while even before the Crusades. The term "assassin" even comes from them.

agreed!

this is why i don't watch movies/tv anymore

Masamune
03-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know, things don't have to be 100% historically accurate or scientifically accurate otherwise there is hardly any room for creativity (space battles shouldn't have any sound, but that would be a boring space battle, right?). But, I think there is a fine line to pushing that limit of creativity vs. accuracy. I think making the Immortals like ninjas is taking it too far IF people think they are ninjas and that is not what should be conveyed to the viewer.

There is NOTHING wrong if you take a story based on history and give it a few twists. Does that mean all movies that are historically accurate are therefore good movies? It's almost hypocritical that we're making a game based on Feudal Japan and we all know it's not going to be historically accurate because the gameplay will not allow for it.

So, I wouldn't criticize the movie, or any movie for that matter on whether it is good or not based on its historical accuracy.

Instead of asking questions like "Why aren't there phalanxes" etc., you should be asking "How does that guy with axes for hands wipe?" The answer... very carefully.

Zorbon
03-06-2007, 06:47 PM
It's almost hypocritical that we're making a game based on Feudal Japan and we all know it's not going to be historically accurate because the gameplay will not allow for it.

Our game is not historically accurate, it is never meant to be. It is however a historical fiction game. 300 is based on a historical battle. Lets look at Gettysburg the movie. Thatís a good historical battle movie. Yes itís not 100% accurate, but you'd have to be a MAJOR civil war nut to nick pick out the flaws. 300 is a complete bastardization of history. Why make a movie based on something that happened in history and not make it near the same?

historically accurate movies are far more entertaining. lets just use mel gibson movies as an example... Brave Heart, Patroit, Passion of Christ, the last movie he made (abolocilipitioco! or something like that) (though some may aruge the last 2 not historical, but even if they are fiction its very close to real)

Masamune
03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Our game is not historically accurate, it is never meant to be. It is however a historical fiction game. 300 is based on a historical battle.

Exactly, 300 is a historical fiction movie based off a comic book. It is not supposed to be 100% accurate, it tells the battle of Thermopylae in a "what if" stand point, not "this is how it happened". This isn't a documentary on the History Channel, it's a fictional story with a real life premise.

Why make a movie based on something that happened in history and not make it near the same?

Why not? Sometimes it is much more interesting and ENTERTAINING to change it. Afterall, that's the whole point of movies, entertainment. As long as people realize that the movie is not illustrating that this is actual history, then there's nothing wrong with it. Why only make movies that are historically accurate when there are so many other possibilities?

Raku
03-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Masamune reminded me of a VERY good point about the movie.

Its based on the COMIC 300, not the battle of Thermopylae itself (I know i probably spelt it wrong, but i just got back from work and am very tired). The producers of the movie followed the book very, very closely, so to say this is a movie based on a historal event is almost completely wrong.

.:. You are not really arguing about the movie, but the comic instead. The movie is really just a graphical representation of the comic.

EDIT: As stated by the all-powerful and all-knowing master moses earlier on in this thread :)

moses
03-07-2007, 03:44 PM
As for it not being very accurate, I agree. There is a lot of things (such as the Goblin guys or whatever the hell they are lol) that arent accurate at all. But remember this is based off the comic book and not the actual Battle of Thermopylae.

sure dont give moses any credit :-(

Masamune
03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Haha, I pulled a Steven Hawking, I get credit for your work :P

Raku
03-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Lol sorry moses, read my post now :)

moses
03-07-2007, 11:18 PM
hahahah very nice :-P

ToshiMaru
03-08-2007, 12:21 AM
oh i can't wait to go watch 300. and yes, dont forget. it is based off of a comic. comic = fiction. just like anime and manga, its all just cool things; no need for historical accuracy in this case. its just a movie, watch and enjoy the bloodshed, YEAH!

i just hope theres no idiot in the theater that ruins the movie for the rest of us.

Chronor
03-08-2007, 06:36 AM
I can't watch the movie with my GF though, who wants to see the movie just as bad as I do. She mainly doesn't want to watch it with me because i'll be doing so much screaming, gasping, and whispering, "This is awesome...This is SO awesome!" in her ear that it'll ruin the movie...I even got Frank Miller's 300 so I can compare the greatness of both. (sigh)

Kal Akodo
04-04-2007, 06:57 PM
wow I got a good chuckle out of that.