I owe you guys this... [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : I owe you guys this...

Roshi
02-18-2007, 05:19 AM
The Inn of The Red Moon

Oda Yomatsu carved up the room with his eyes, raking over the furnishings and people of the so-called 'Inn of The Red Moon'. The place was a dog pit. The tables were small, and Oda didn't have to lift the tiny tablecloths to know that they were just barreltops nailed to a stick. The Inn had dirt floors and one, bug-ridden, plated mat to keep the dust down. The sake was weak, the hot springs stank like old men farts, and the girls who waited on customers were ugly and dirty. Yomatsu's noble blood raised in his veins the way it did when he saw a gun. Oda hated guns.

Oda sniffed and took a big bite of his pride. He swallowed the lump and asked for the Innkeeper. "I have need of a room for the night..." he said, when an old woman waddled out from behind the bar. She looked him up and and down, noting his swords. Then she sniffed, too.

"You here for Okamiakaji, neh? You will make the third to come this moon.', The old woman shook her grey head, 'I will make you a room, but you may be wasting your time. The Red Wolf already knows you're here. He will be here, soon."

Oda raised an eyebrow. "Do you know him?"

The old woman cackled, "No, I don't know him. He don't speak when he comes here, not to us.' The Innkeeper gave him a pointed look. 'I know about his legend. I know that he kills men. I know that he will kill you..."

Oda's noble blood rose in a heat to his face, his rouge did little to mask it. "How do you know he will kill me? You do not even know who I am!"

"You are a swordsman, neh?', the old woman smiled an aged, knowing smile; as if that were all the omens she needed. 'Well, you had better be..." With just that, the Innkeeper turned and led Oda to a hallway lined with dirty, ricepaper doors.

Later, a girl from the willow-world came to his room. She was unpolished, unkempt, and slow. Nevertheless, Oda allowed her to pour sake for him. She then sang for him, her Song of Sake was actually very good. The lyrics were humorous and Oda favored her with a laugh. There were more entertainments to come and he was just settling in when a shadow appeared in the hallway. A large shade passed, and one look into the face of the country geisha was all it took for Oda to know that The Red Wolf was at his door.

In spite of the weak sake and the uncouth girl, Oda was not unready. He had taken his longsword from his sash and held it at his side during his repose. He rose slowly. Just as slowly, he drew his longsword from it's sheath. The sillouette in the doorway twitched at the sound of steel leaving it's home. Oda heard the steel of Okamiakaji's blade slide too. The Noble had had enough. "You are The Red Wolf, are you not?" Oda asked of the shade.

"I am Okamiakaji. You are here to fight me, are you not?"

Oda's ears pricked up, for the Wolf spoke in an old, almost ancient, dialect. It was a dicotomy that was reserved for the most high nobles in the royal court. There was a flattering lilt to the words that cracked upon the wildness and grunting of the voice speaking it. Oda was puzzled, because the dialect had long fallen out of fashion. The only reason he knew it is because it was how his grandmother had spoken to him when he was a boy. It made him curious.

"May I ask you a question, Wolf? Before I kill you?"

There was a pause from the shadow at the door. "I will answer your question. First, you must answer one of mine. Whom do you serve, Samauri?" Okamiakaji's words spit the sentence out, like venom. Yet, to Oda's ears, the voice had paid him a compliement. It made Oda uncomfortable.

"It is my honor to serve my master, the Daimyo Hoda."

"Then there is a chance that the blood of my enemy runs in your veins.', The Red Wolf said, and he truly growled as he spoke next, 'There is a good chance my soul could rest tonight. It is good that you are here... Now ask your question, they will be the last words you speak."

Oda Yomatsu was fed up. He was so mad, he no longer needed the answer to his curiosity. He decided he no longer needed to keep his end of the bargain either. "How did you ever get such a noble tongue, pig? And how do you manage to keep it?" Oda lunged forward and speared the shadow on the rice paper.

A blade from the hallway clanged and then pinned Oda's sword against the door-frame. Then the hilt of Okamiakaji's shortsword tore through the ricepaper and slammed into Oda's nose, forcing him back into his room. When the noble next looked up, The Red Wolf exploded through the shreds of the door and stood before Oda Yomatsu, his steel bared and flashing like fangs.

Just as big as his shadow, Okamiakaji towered over Oda. He looked up, into the face of Okamiakaji, and the Samauri knew that he did not fight a man. The eyes of the Wolf glared from Okamiakaji's head, the true fangs of a wolf slavered in his lips. He had five fingers, but at the end of those digits were claws, great, black claws that wrapped around the hilts of his swords like interlocked iron teeth. To Oda's amazement the demon even had a wolf's tail to go with his red, bushy hair. That was all Oda was allowed to notice before he began to fight for his life.

Oda Yomatsu was considered by many to be a master at swordplay. One of the best. It was this reputation that drove him to seek The Red Wolf. It was the same reputation that led him to his bloody death in a crummy, dirty mountain-lodge called: The Inn of The Red Moon.

The Samauri who had rented the room was dead, and now the old woman-Innkeeper chased her girls down the hall to clean up. They had done this work many times, deftly taking everything of value from among the dead man's things save his swords and robe. While they did this, the old woman listened in the night, as the moon went down. She waited until the wolves started howling, and strained to hear a certain, lilting howl; one that sounded sweeter than the rest. When she heard it finally, she smiled. The soul of The Red Wolf would not rest tonight, and so there would be more swordsmen to come. And so the Inn of The Red Moon would survive. A little longer...

end

-Roshi, 2007

nimrook
03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
This is a very nice story and I like your deep description of the inn and of the wolf. It would be nice to hear a little more of this story and about the red wolf if you would like to write more. How did the red wolf become so skilled and why was Oda so eager to find the wolf?

Roshi
03-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Goodness! Thank you for the kind review. I threw this up at a moment's notice because I owed the site a 'samurai-ish' story. It was not very well researched, the spelling was/is terrible, the plot was a momentary visitation. I really have no idea where to go if I were to write further adventures about the Wolf...

But I will try.

Thank you, again.

-Roshi

water737
03-31-2007, 11:22 PM
i liked it heaps keep it up if u can :)

Roshi
04-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Thank you, Water. For you and Nimrook, the story of Ookamiakaji continues. This time I will take the story seriously, and do my best to repay your patronage...

Thanks again.

-Roshi

HeniuriSaito
04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh well, indeed, I envy you by the way yo described the inn, hehe ^_^". Well I can plainly see it is pretty good, I say, the spelling is not THAT good at all, but I like it :). Oh, well you could have described the combat as it was, other than just saying that they began to fight and he died :) it's not that it's bad, but it's an add to the story :D But I want to hear more about the wolf, now I am really curious about him, and maybe if you wish, I could even help you to create it all :D

propaganda time :D if you wish you could read mine and review it and maybe tell how horrible it is :P http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?p=40210#post40210

Roshi
04-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Thank you very much for reading the story, Heniuri!

The faults that 'The Inn of The Red Moon' suffers from were mainly because of time restraints and the way I wrote it at a moment's inspiration. I'm trying to make up for those mistakes by re-visiting the character of The Red Wolf by posting new adventures under the title 'Chi-Kuroken!' appearing on this same page. I hope to finish it in three parts, and I promise that I won't skimp on the combat - and the spelling will be better. Ookamiakaji's background will be explored in parts II&III of Chi-kuroken!, and (if it garners a positive response), perhaps we could work on a new story once this three-parter is done?

You honor me with your interest, my friend, thank you.

-Roshi

nimrook
04-04-2007, 03:24 AM
I'm glad you are writing more and I will make sure to read it when you're done.

HeniuriSaito
04-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Oh I didn't see it, I'll take a look at it asap :D we ought to make a great story if we are able to :D (fast passing, sorry I'm in a hurry here)

Roshi
04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Saito,

You have surpassed me, my friend! You tale was wonderful. I envy your knowledge of history and the ease with which you sew it into your tales. I would love to work up some stories with you, perhaps a 'Tatsumaki' tale?

Your haiku was good too!

-Roshi

ps The Wolf tale is almost finished, but now I have people wanting to know more about Yajirumaru and Ikemasan. Mayhap we could set them loose upon Tatsumaki in order to satisfy people's curiosity?

water737
04-17-2007, 12:58 AM
noice, also saito, praise be to samurai x woot! :) cant wait to read it, and saito ima check out ur story u propaganda mastermind you :/ lol

HeniuriSaito
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Saito,

You have surpassed me, my friend! You tale was wonderful. I envy your knowledge of history and the ease with which you sew it into your tales. I would love to work up some stories with you, perhaps a 'Tatsumaki' tale?

Your haiku was good too!

-Roshi

ps The Wolf tale is almost finished, but now I have people wanting to know more about Yajirumaru and Ikemasan. Mayhap we could set them loose upon Tatsumaki in order to satisfy people's curiosity?

AHAHA! Thank you, friend! I just made it as it came to my mind, and my "history knowledge" is nothing at all... ._. (humble time)(Not humble anymore YEAH I ROCK! I PWN YOU ALL! NOW BOW DOWN TO ME!! LOL)

My... haiku? I didn't make one, as far as I remember, oh well.. maybe I make but I don't know, of course you may not be saying that to me :(

Yes, I'd be grateful to write a Tatsumaki tale with you :D

Oh well, "Mayhap we could set them loose upon Tatsumaki in order to satisfy people's curiosity?" If I could understand your meaning about "set them loose" (sorry, I don't sleep for three days now and I am sucking a lot...)

noice, also saito, praise be to samurai x woot! cant wait to read it, and saito ima check out ur story u propaganda mastermind you :/ lol

LOL, thank you for reading it :D :D and, well, I do what I can about merchandising :saevil:

water737
05-05-2007, 09:07 PM
but we all know that okita woulda owned kenshin :P

HeniuriSaito
05-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Nonono, Okita sucked D:< well... no. But Kenshin pwnz0rD, so he ****ed Okita and Saito! lol, I still want to see a fight between kenshin and saito again D:<

water737
05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
nah kenshin owns saito eassssy u see it everytime but okita was just as godlike but got held back coz of TB :( thats wat happened to him in RL to.... sad...

Servitor
07-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Very nice story. :)