Kind of curious... [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : Kind of curious...

Sykoi
12-11-2005, 05:50 AM
If I were to make a web-based Tatsumaki game (As in, PHP backend, html/javascript frontend) - what features from Tatsumaki would you want to see?

(If you're curious what happened to the other web-based game I was working on, I decided to ditch it because I couldn't fix my AJAX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29) engine's queue system. Luckily a friend of mine (Who is also working on an AJAX engine) pointed me towards a book that has code for the very thing I was trying to perfect. Assuming I can actually get this code incorporated into my own code, it'll make an appearance in this Tatsumaki web-based game, and hopefully make things a bit less "point and click")

Please note that this is just an idea an ex-team member and I have been throwing around for awhile now and we may not work on it right away

Current features we've decided on:

Create a character somewhat like how its done in the main Tatsumaki game
Ability to get basic supplies such as wood from trees, berries from plants, etc. - and sell them to NPCs or player-owned buildings/NPCs
Start a family
Own land, create buildings, micro-manage things such as taxes and ability to rant portions of land out
Create relatively unique items (Remember, this is PHP/Javascript... The most I could do is probably a simple drag and drop images onto another image, then save it)
D&D-esque fighting system (If anyone has ANY ideas how we can maintain some actual skill aspect in a javascript combat system, PLEASE say something)
POSSIBLY allow players to create their own NPCs (Its simple on paper but I'd have to dig up some old parsing code I created months ago, and create a simple language thats 'newbie friendly')

Theres a few others but I can't quite remember them at the time of posting ;)

If you have any ideas you want to add, or a way to improve the concept - please post... Remember that this is just a simple little fun web-based game I'm working on for the hell of it*, and shouldn't be too complex.

*I'm working on this game, or some kind of web-based game no matter what the outcome, simply because I need to add more work to my resume as the Tatsumaki beta server will run us $1,000+ a month, and we just can't afford it right now ;)

Jin
12-11-2005, 11:14 AM
sounds great!

All the features you listed, are mostly all I wanted to see. This would definately bring up something more to talk about on the forums, as topics are running sort of dry.

ETA? Anyway good luck! :)

Sykoi
12-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Well, I'm only REALLY going to work hard on it if a lot of people show interest in it (Hint hint, pimp it out, hint hint) - and if I do that, it really should only take a few weeks... Maybe three weeks max, depending on how complex the javascript ends up being (The PHP side is cake, but considering I just learned javascript a few months ago, that part of it may take a bit longer).

If I get 10 replies to this thread, before the end of today (12 hours to go), I'll make a forum or two for the project and that should spark up some more discussion.
Right now, #1 thing on my list of things to do is to finish the new EoE site (Well, technically my upcoming final is - but thats pretty much cake for me), and after that is to put the final touches on the new Tatsumaki video; but once I finish those two things, I'll try to get started on this game assuming theres enough support ;)

Ronin
12-11-2005, 12:40 PM
It would be fun to have something related to Tatsumaki to play, i'm all for it

ToshiMaru
12-11-2005, 03:18 PM
My ideas:

World Map
I was thinking, maybe have the main world to look kind of like a chat room. When a person clicks on a link that leads to the world map, he will come to a page with a gigantic map, and the map is in grids. The person will see himself as a small icon on the map, from there he can click on different boxes in the grids to move - some grid boxes are lands and mountains, and some are cities, villages, or outposts.
If the person is in a city, or village, or inhabited grid, he will be taken to another page that has an image background of the city. And in front is a java-esque chatroom thingy, where he can chat with other players in that area. He can chat with them, or invite them to parties(battles), or challenge them to duels, or just mug them.

Cities/Villages
They look like chatrooms with a background image. There list of chatroom names are catagorized into "Players" "NPC's" and others. If you click on a player or npc, a PM will pop up, you can talk NPC's for quests, marketing, or information.

Battle/Fighting
I think the fighting should do with a tactical sort of battle, like Final Fantasy Tactics; but instead of different classes, like how they have knights, and archers. We use different fighting styles, Ninjitsu, Jujitsu, etc. + weapons and items.

selmo
12-11-2005, 03:43 PM
I like it! Cant wait to see what you deliever

moses
12-12-2005, 07:52 AM
im all for it

Chronor
12-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Ditto! As for the fighting system. It's going to be extremely difficult to incorperate a different type of fighting based on skill with that limited technology without it being like a link-ish style of fighting. But you could do different moves for each style of fighting.

Ex: Ninjitsu=Hide ability or Death Strike Akido=Reflect energy Judo= Paralizing throw.

They just activiate a designated animation, then a significant ability. A little Diablo/D&D esque without the items but it keeps things interesting...

Just a thought...

Sykoi
12-12-2005, 09:31 AM
A little idea I've been toying with:
While I can't make it live action (The combat), I can, however, add combos:
Javascript has the capability to capture keys in certain elements, so what I could do is add a space where you type in keys (Punch, kick, block, left, right, up, down, etc.) and then send it to the server on a round-based system; if it activates a combo move, then the server sees this and does the combo, if it doesn't - it doesn't.
Really, the only problem with the Tatsumaki combat system being transferred to Javascript/PHP is just the fact that we can't add player-controlled dodging (At least not in a fair way).

SunWuKong
12-12-2005, 03:08 PM
I think it would be great. (If it's not taking too much time away from the real thing.)
It would spark interest, give a lot of play-testing, unearth questions/concerns that we haven't thought of, etc.

Banzai!

Sykoi
12-12-2005, 04:22 PM
As soon as we get two more actual replies (As in, provide something to the conversation), I will set aside a forum for the web-based game, where you can discuss the features it should ... feature.

ToshiMaru
12-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Another Idear <-- :p

Two types of fighting, "Duels" and "Battles". Duels require only two or more players fighting each other using their characters, in a small versus duel. Where as, Battles require armies, so the player can also hire npc armies, mercenaries to do the fighting for them.

Duels - are used for individual fighting, the prizes if indicated are small possesions and etc from the other players, like money, or etc.

Battles - are used for invasions, and major conquests, and etc. prizes will be big things, like kingdoms or whatever.

Chronor
12-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Another Idear <-- :p

Two types of fighting, "Duels" and "Battles". Duels require only two or more players fighting each other using their characters, in a small versus duel. Where as, Battles require armies, so the player can also hire npc armies, mercenaries to do the fighting for them.

Duels - are used for individual fighting, the prizes if indicated are small possesions and etc from the other players, like money, or etc.

Battles - are used for invasions, and major conquests, and etc. prizes will be big things, like kingdoms or whatever.

*Great Idea*

I'd also like to add that there would be some sort of formal way to challenge someone to a duel. Where as you need a party of 10+ (including NPCs) In order to start a battle.

I also assume you could still meditate using Java hopefully if you can provide buffs.(I'm unfamiliar with Java, sry)

SunWuKong
12-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Buildings would be a good chance to test the weather system.

Families (and Factions, I'm guessing) would be a good chance to test the honour/reputation/promotion system.

selmo
12-13-2005, 08:57 PM
You could dual with a sukoden type system:

Big attack: beats attack but looses to defense
attack: hits defense a little bit but is beat by big attack
defense: blocks some dmg from an attack, counters big attack
sorta like rock paper scissors

Slots
12-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Psst the game is called Suikoden and yes... it IS rock paper scissors... except that some attacks will always do damage (but not always max)

Tenshin
12-15-2005, 10:09 AM
What exactly will the web based game look like? Never seen something like that.

Sykoi
12-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Not quite sure yet, right now the only people working on it are myself and a friend of mine (Who is actually partially responsible for the creation of Tatsumaki)

Ronin
12-15-2005, 03:35 PM
well, then give him my thanks as well. Thank you.