[D]Disease & Sickness [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : [D]Disease & Sickness

SunWuKong
09-22-2005, 01:38 PM
I did a search and found some references to disease, sickness, and plague.
Found some mention of them, but not a full discussion about the need, or desire to have them in the game.
I believe it has been said that they were going to be in the game, however, let's see if we can refine our thoughts and come up with an acceptable working concept. Do you want them in the game? To what extreme? How debilitating/contagious? etc.

(How things are going with Plague in WoW (http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050921_112712.html).)

selmo
09-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Diseases would kinda suck...i mean realistic but really suck i dont think it should be implimented IMO.

ComicP
09-22-2005, 06:11 PM
i think things like colds shold be put in. my history is bad, but the european influenza should be put in if there are colds. anything much more servere, and it might be too much for hospitals.

Tomoshibi
09-22-2005, 07:29 PM
It would be interesting, especially to see how the player community would handle quarantines...

SunWuKong
09-22-2005, 08:10 PM
I think the original discussion (older forum) had it so the characters were mildly affected (physical abilities don't function as well), but no drastic, or lasting, damage was done to them.

A combat oriented character would have to be careful when sick.

This would also come into play with eating to get healthier, and RPing doctors.

Simplexus
09-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Realism comes with the price of Role playing and sometimes eliminates the fun.
So why not implement it? :D

Jin
09-22-2005, 08:58 PM
What do you mean realism comes with the price of RPing? I see no correlation other then if you want to RP realistically, but RPing isn't always about being realistic and I wouldn't consider it a "price to pay" because you want to RP.

Also, fun is a rather vague word, many people can perceive it as something else. For some, fun might be "super realistic", while for others it would be the opposite.

For me personally, I would like to not see diseases/plagues implemented or atleast not to the extreme because I would rather enjoy the game than fear going outside and "catching something".

Simplexus
09-22-2005, 09:04 PM
LoL Jin.

Don't be scared of the diseases, it is only natural. I'm for diseases + illness as well. But I don't want to die due to it. :D

Jin
09-22-2005, 09:07 PM
^then your perspective is the same as mine, you don't want it to be implemented to the extreme.

nobody4422
09-22-2005, 09:24 PM
I would definately like to see not just minor diseases such as flu and food poisioning (this one should be pretty common) and the like. But also some of the more debilitating and lethal diseases. I dont know if they had dysetnry, small pox or bubonic plague but Im sure there would be strains of similar diseases found in Japan at the time.

How I envision the diseases working all diseases would have a set amount of time the player would have to be resting in game time. Minor diseases such as cold, flu, food poisoning would mildly effect stats and have a very short recory time. With some diseases there would be occasions where the character would randomly do emote animations such as vomit, collapse, dizzyness, sneeze, cough, and other involuntary common during diseases.

With actual lethal diseases the major victims would be the NPCs. PCs would be effected too, but wouldnt often succumb to them. Instead, they would really suffer severe stat penalties and require lots of rest and treatment before the diease runs its course. However, if the players refused to rest, or take any treatment they would die. If a character dies from a disease when they respawn, they keep the disease or at least a milder form of it. This will force recovery time for the more serious diseases.

Having these kinds of diseases allows opportunities for role play, special events (foreign traders bring a plague with them) as well as combat stratgey (biological warefare).

selmo
09-23-2005, 09:36 AM
If there are in there they should be rare...like panda rare

Tomoshibi
09-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Panda Pox! Aiieee!

Tenshin
09-23-2005, 10:54 AM
I don't like the idea of diseases and illness. That one of those realism fun-breakers. Although it's realistic, it would most definetly detract from fun, and if common, turn quite a few players away. But on the other hand, people roleplaying doctors, acupuncturists, and herbalists would benefit heavily from such an implementation.

If it is put in, I don't think it should be very serious diseases, and the symptoms should appear very gradually, and go away after treatment and a nights rest. This way, if someone knows how, he/she can collect herbs, make a tincture and heal themselves.

Like everything, there is definetly two sides to look at here. Fun and Roleplay.

Ranaru
09-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Prehaps disease, sickness and pestilence should be implemented, and there could be a quest to become immune/find a cure!

nobody4422
09-24-2005, 01:24 AM
I think they already intend to implement disease, infection , and other ailments.

http://www.tatsumaki-online.com/wiki/index.php/Physical_Health

The main question is how to do it and to what extent.

Xokken
10-22-2005, 10:40 PM
I think it would be a good idea to put in diseases, since the object of the game seems to be realism. If you did add diseases, it would be cool to have some permanent, or leave lasting effects, like a limp, or disfigurement. It would be cool, if you plan on adding doctors of some sort, if you were inflicted with a permanent disease, having to take medicine, or wearing bandages after being injured. Or maybe scars, so you may look at one person, who's inflicted with a lot of scars and wounds, and know they've been in some sort of fight, or danger.

Bengrizzly
10-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Date Masamune lost his eye in childhood as a result of a disease's. He was still a very strong warrior. When He was older he had a painting done, and had the painter paint in his missing eye :)

ToshiMaru
10-24-2005, 10:29 PM
if disease or illness is going to be implemented, i''d rather have it as being infectagious. Not just randomly caught it, but it had to come from somewhere; ex. eating a bad apple, getting poisoned, or the weather was extremely cold. that might still be realistic, but isnt enough to break up the fun. So, illnesses would actually be intentional, not coincidencal.

Akoni Koukoheki
10-27-2005, 04:11 PM
im all for diseases... it adds more strategy and more aple reasons for spiest o be in opposiing areas...

Mouko
11-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Definetly I say use sickness cause if you do this it would open up the possibility of playing as a docter which would be cool
Also it can affect thing to make them more realistic like stooping at an inn to warm up if your traveling and to get some sleep if u want to stay healthy pr recover from a sickness

Aucillion
11-15-2005, 09:57 PM
I think disease should be a rare thing but I do got a idea if you dont do or pay for maintence on you property mice and other vermin could deliver pestilence as well as make the property look run down before it is destroyed by lack of maintence :cool: