Kabuki!!! [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : Kabuki!!!

Tomoshibi
09-12-2005, 12:01 PM
I was wondering, would things like a kabuki drama be possible in Tatsumaki? It would be pretty sweet to create a family that follows a theatre group structure and go touring the land, hopefully building up patrons and all that fun stuff. It would require a whole bunch of jobs (someone to craft clothes, musicians, dancers/actors, etc) so you'd get a nice variety of people. So what I guess I'm wondering about is: Will tatsumaki be capable of enough emotes/dance moves, and creative enough with clothes crafting and music making to let people make entire productions of kabuki-like theatre?

Jin
09-12-2005, 12:47 PM
First question you gotta ask is, are there going to be enough people interested in doing that in the first place?

Tomoshibi
09-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Well, I dunno. It depends on how many people wish for another alternative to fighting. I have found some other posts on music making, even one or two with dancing mentioned; so I know there is an interest in entertainment. This would simply be a mix of those interests. Plus, the hardcore RPers would certainly enjoy a well done Kabuki performance, even if they don't actually want to participate in it. I guess we'll see the answer to your question in a few days, based on the number of responses to this thread.

By the way - I'm interested ; ;

ShininShado
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm all for the drama type plays. Could use carpentry to make the stages, and seamstresses/costume designers to make the costumes. There's tons of possiblities here, and I think any culture aspect or artform that was in Feudal Japan should have the possibility of being re-created in Tatsumaki.

SunWuKong
09-12-2005, 03:57 PM
I was wondering, would things like a kabuki drama be possible in Tatsumaki?Noh.

(That's a joke, AND another suggestion for theatre works. ;) )

selmo
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Maybe NPCs doing this regularly might be allright but i think coding the option of players acting might take a bit too long and not have much rewards

Tomoshibi
09-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I feel its the other way around - npcs would be much harder to program. With playable characters, you simply have them use emotes that have already been programmed into the game, with a few more people playing some background music. You perhaps give everyone a script (they could easily print one off the forums) and the rest would work itself out through practice. The devs wouldn't have to do anything they weren't already doing, except make it possible to have costumes that look like the kabuki dancers. With NPCs, you would have to program each actor, so that they interact with the others to make a cohesive production. Not only that, it would be annoying for the devs to waste their time making new plays, each one requiring its own programming. The alternative would be for the devs to only program in one play, but that would get old really fast. In conclusion, making npcs do the plays would be a boring waste of time. People wouldn't even be able to profit off of that, unlike player-controlled productions. I would rather have no such plays than have them done by npcs.

Comicartist22
09-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Devs could make Kabuki plays special events if they decided to make them NPC only. Kabuki plays could happen once a month; so programming a new play wouldn't be such a time consumer.

As for player oriented plays, using emotes would be your best bet. I know I would attend one if I had nothing else going on in-game.

Chief Magistrate Uchimaro

Tomoshibi
09-12-2005, 06:59 PM
I suppose it wouldn't be that time consuming, but it would be tedious compared to just letting players doing it on their own. Besides, I for one would be much more interested in watching plays created by fellow players, performed by fellow players.

Comicartist22
09-12-2005, 07:07 PM
True, True. Player Kabuki plays would be quite entertaining and a great way to make some cash. Depending on emotes, it would be cool to see some of the Kabuki plays reflect major events that have happened in-game.

Tomoshibi
09-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Ooh, yes! What a wonderful idea. Families could even hire theatre groups to play out their conquests, immortalizing them forever through story. Perhaps paying a little extra to make the family seem even more amazing than they would be in real life...

MitsueNeko
09-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm a chinese/japanese ethnic dancer. This sounds intersting and I'm also a musician. I've already planned out a fan dance for a duet and solo.

Tomoshibi
09-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Hee hee. This is getting interesting now. Perhaps I'll create my own theatre group if enough people want to do something like this. It wouldn't exactly be a family, more of a profession, really. It would still be pretty cool though...

Jin
09-13-2005, 12:58 PM
It would be pretty interesting if they let players create their own music and such for the play also.

Tomoshibi
09-13-2005, 01:27 PM
I fully agree. In fact, I think everything in the play should be player created. Its a lot more fun to see the imaginations of fellow tatsumaki players rather than some already programmed in stuff. I remember hating FFXI when I discovered all bard songs have the exact same melody. >.< Whats the point in being a bard if you can't even play music?

Slots
09-13-2005, 01:35 PM
In the korean MMORPG called Mabinogi (or something like that) you can create your own music ... though alot of people will just recreate classic meoldies like mario or some of mozarts stuff..

MattyQ
10-09-2005, 06:59 PM
I would be pysched to see Kabuki in-game. You could implement an admission/tip system (even if it was something informal, like trading coin) to cover the actors for their work. *shrugs* I mean, it's more of an honor system, but that's what it was in those days anyway...

Ihiyu
10-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Players in SWG have put together bands and made hanging out in cantinas a major part of their game. Some people enjoy such a social experience. If the game mechanics existed to enable Kabuki then I'm sure there would be gamers interested in it.

Zangetsu
10-19-2005, 06:13 AM
that would be looot fun to do :) while reading the wiki they said they are thinking of makin theaters or something like that ..

so yea it would rock plus having fun away from combat .. :)

Yoshimitsu
10-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I agree with MattyQ, there should be some kind of tickets or something, to give players an incentive. Also, itd help to get the economy flowing.

Mouko
11-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Musisians could also make some good money by playin in special events, in concerts,and maybe to cheer up soldiers after and before batttle to boost morale