Less worth in items, more worth in player ability.... [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : Less worth in items, more worth in player ability....

AAronB
08-25-2005, 04:39 AM
The idea to this is to say, as i've been reading things like the polls aand diffrent posts, i really feel like i gotta say....

If were gonna go for realism, why not have it so your character can have injured sleep or whateva, 'cause that kinda makes sense being taken out of battle wounded, so you never really die.

-Death should be, being assassinated or outright killed in a duel, or comitting sepuku.

-That way players can fight and what not, gain scars or whateva without actually dieing. the other thing to argue is. Well this game isnt about grinding right? its not about spending months and months lvling, its not about having two spends weeks to get my skills up?

-It should really be about having fun palying your cahracter to the best of your abilities :) since hopefully its not gonna be one click combat and will be something cool :) thought hard to program. it will make it much more intense.

-If your charachter is a soldier he shouldnt have enchanted crossbow of the wolf or whateva players should be just down right normal....nothin super special so for most players dieing or getting uber looted or wahteva wont matter. You would just lose teh spear or sword you got from the armory for the battle. Make sense?

-I mean that just seems logical. So what im trying to say is our characters will be to go in and live right? so we do the things we do and essentially we build our characters but were not gonna be so attached in teh sense of having spent months and months grinding to see them eprma die to a assassin and what not ya know?

-My idea for perma death was jsut losing rank in family and heirarchy (i think i used that word correctly) and like you would drop ranks in your military standing, so youd have guards and what not to prevent that, jsut liek owning a shop youd have npc guards defending it so people wouldnt jsut go in and steal.

-Ok not trying to stray from the original post idea but basicalllly
-Not spending alot of time grinding
-means more worth in players ability to play instead of what good items they have or how good of stats they have
-Normal items so if you are wounded in battle (AKA dead :P) you only lose what a soldier would.
-Meaning youll have alot more fun training your character and building your skills asa player instead of worrying about ahving good enough armor for the 4 day Raid.....World of warcraft.... *shakes head*

ok ina a nutshell i want ot have fun and rely on my abilities :) not my items make sense right? no uber arm ripper 10000?

oooh ooh almost forgot! Blood! arms and legs being chopped off, visible wounds! love to see that :D (no im not sadistic) theyd be liek critical hits you know? Bam your leg is off you are defeated :D

OmegaLord
08-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Many of this things have been discussed here and there:

Death and its consequences:
http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=332

Loss of Limbs (and scars?):
http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=986

Being this a realistic game, with no magic, of course ther is not gonna be a "Uber Great sword of total fricking anilhation" items. Just uber masterwork weaponry from Japan's best :P

Stats and Skills:
http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=354
http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=977

I don't know where to look for topics about NPC...
In short many of you points have discussions that can be found in these very same forums. So search and gain wisdom ;)

AAronB
08-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Righto, sorry not very good with the searches on forums...honestly i know that sounds dumb lol but i can't usually find what im looking for. mabey i just dont type it in right. and i know some of those things have been discussed i was just kinda sayin how i felt, the basic jist was to not worry about what ya had but how well you played, so IF you did have one of those awesome swords you'd prolly be a very high class person with lots of bodyguards and what not so you couldnt get assassinated.

Jin
08-25-2005, 06:21 PM
I agree, although a finely constructed sword by a master weaponsmith would be an advantage, it should really be a slight advantage and skills of the person has with the weapon should be the majority of deciding the advantage.

Tenshin
08-26-2005, 08:57 AM
It would be interesting if the longer a person has a weapon, the more skilled they become with it.

Shuki
08-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes you should be able to practice your skills with a certain weapon or anything in general and be the best you can at it.

moses
08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I dont think its how long you have a weapon, its how much you learn to wield that weapon. They dont want it time based because then someone who has been in longer would almost always kill a newbie.

Tenshin
08-26-2005, 02:08 PM
no man, it's not a really big factor, it's just instead of weapons that determine attack attributes, it's a mix of skill, quality of the blade, and how long you've had it. If you have it for a certain amount of time it becomes you, and you can name it. But it wouldn't be a major factor in skill level, that wasn't the intention of my idea.

glowsticknation
08-26-2005, 02:17 PM
that whole idea of the blade becomming you is entirely psychosomatic and not physical at all... but i believe the "how long you've had it" should be a factor more in terms of how well you've kept care of your blade... because if you don't clean your blade and you use it in battle, the blood will cause it to rust and tarnish easily... plus the strikes with other bladed weapons will cause notches which will have to be hammered out by a smith

as far as item values, they should be as valuable in game as they are in real life... you have some moron smith just crank out a blade in like 5 seconds and you'll know in combat when your sword shatters on the first strike... even master swordsmiths can make bubbles in the material when folding and compromise the weapon's quality... in reality it takes something like 6 months to make a decent quality blade and 8 or so for a good quality blade... so contrast that with the rate at which an ill-taken care of blade can decay and weapons should be in large demand for creation and repair at all times

AAronB
08-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Lol.... i like the uh realism but it sitll is a game!! lol sheesh. i really dont wanna spend 6 months to make a weapon mabey and hour or two but not 6 months lol.
nor do i want to spend 6months grinding my guy lol. I want to get n join teh army practice practice :) go out find some bandits and kill them in the name of LAW! :D nad if i die doing so i only lost some stuff from the military's armoury.

ToshiMaru
08-27-2005, 02:46 AM
speaking of realistic items and stuff. i think i would be nice if the whole tatsumaki had a "Closed Economy". So, money wont just appear out of thin air, and food wont just be made without work, and there wouldnt be a million swords and arrows.

For example, this way, if there was a legendary sword and there was only 5 or 10 in the world, and you want it. I'd either have to take it from the person who has it, because you cant create just another sword and call it legendary, or make one out of thin air.

same thing for everything else, it doesnt exist unless you make them. money, food, farming, animals...???, houses, weapons.

Aucillion
08-27-2005, 01:02 PM
speaking of realistic items and stuff. i think i would be nice if the whole tatsumaki had a "Closed Economy". So, money wont just appear out of thin air, and food wont just be made without work, and there wouldnt be a million swords and arrows.

For example, this way, if there was a legendary sword and there was only 5 or 10 in the world, and you want it. I'd either have to take it from the person who has it, because you cant create just another sword and call it legendary, or make one out of thin air.

same thing for everything else, it doesnt exist unless you make them. money, food, farming, animals...???, houses, weapons.

I know in shadowbane and every other mmorpg's they had dupers (oftentimes so pervasive that people wouldnt even know they had duped gear or gold) so just beware if you economy still clapses despite a closed economy, mmorpg bugs will never be eliminated completly and as for realism its all good and such untill my character is a permagimp

Tenshin
08-27-2005, 01:33 PM
well if you can take that legendary sword from it's holder, it mustn't be that great.

moses
08-27-2005, 01:42 PM
oo burned! :P

Chronor
08-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm not extremely proficcent in the concept of a "Closed Economy" but I do understand what your saying. My dillema with that since there's no monsters your only way to get any cash is by doing mission. So, eventually if there were enough people or something all the money would be gone? And crafting in this game is sooo flexable that it will eliminate the whole "There are 5 Legendary 1337 swords"

And it's not the sword that makes the man....

Tenshin
08-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Well there would be mines I suppose, and as more people join, more money is made. I like the closed economy. You actually have to earn money, as opposed to "finding" it. Unless you're a thief, of course.

ToshiMaru
08-27-2005, 02:55 PM
And crafting in this game is sooo flexable that it will eliminate the whole "There are 5 Legendary 1337 swords"

And it's not the sword that makes the man....

yes, but i didnt mean by only 5 swords, there will be like hundreds of famous weapons. but its all about the reputation. Give me the sword of Miyamoto Musashi and im happy :bigeyes: :D

Tenshin
08-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Blacksmithing should be very complex and near impossible to master. This way when someone does master it, and make swords, the name will be praised. I could hear it like this, "Hey, is that a Kurotoshi Makimoto blade?" rather than "Is that the eternal blade of Memphilisus?".

Mokurei
08-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Dammit, I want my glowing blade of deathful vengeance death death killing!

TATSUMAKI SUKS

Aucillion
08-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Dammit, I want my glowing blade of deathful vengeance death death killing!

TATSUMAKI SUKS

You mean you want your Dashio of I PWN U and your Armor of Cant Touch This ;)

DeXtrose
08-28-2005, 01:14 PM

Speaking of which....tatsumaki DOES have a closed economy. Money has to be made for it to exist, all this will be done in beta so there will be a thriving economy come gold.