Wars... Gonna be awesome? [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : Wars... Gonna be awesome?

AAronB
08-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Wars.... If i remember correctly countrys have patrolling forces will i see that? 'cause that would be awesome to see like im travelling down the road and some group of soldiers pass by me marching. Stuff like that. that makes the world feel alive? so when im making my long journeys down the road it wont seem like just long boring landscape. Stuff like that.

-Another awesome thing would be to be riding down the road on my horse and stop to see an actual battle going on with lots of npcs mabey a 100 or so, that would be wicked.

-Also, like seeing a noble being carried down the road in one of those like small house thingys, with lots of guards (sorry dont know the terminology :P).

-And finally, to really compete in tehw ars, to be a general or captain of teh shoguns army or whoever whatever (agains sorry for misused terminology) and beable to command npc forces! cause that wouls just be awesome, people would be able to have a job in the army ya know? and then the higher rank you got the more troops you could command :D

-I know that kinda stuff is big and hard to do but well i jsut ahd to get it out of me. Hell im sure someone has brought it up before. It would jsut be awesome, relaly if anything more than fighting battles and what not... i want the world to FEEL ALIVE! a real world ya know?

ok dont flame thanks.

ToshiMaru
08-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Wars.... If i remember correctly countrys have patrolling forces will i see that? 'cause that would be awesome to see like im travelling down the road and some group of soldiers pass by me marching. Stuff like that. that makes the world feel alive? so when im making my long journeys down the road it wont seem like just long boring landscape. Stuff like that.
Has Been Suggested, and maybe will be put in game.

-Another awesome thing would be to be riding down the road on my horse and stop to see an actual battle going on with lots of npcs mabey a 100 or so, that would be wicked.
Great plan, like before; suggested. Might be implemented

-Also, like seeing a noble being carried down the road in one of those like small house thingys, with lots of guards (sorry dont know the terminology :P).
Could Happen, NPC or human players.

-And finally, to really compete in tehw ars, to be a general or captain of teh shoguns army or whoever whatever (agains sorry for misused terminology) and beable to command npc forces! cause that wouls just be awesome, people would be able to have a job in the army ya know? and then the higher rank you got the more troops you could command :D
Anyone can be anything, join an army, get noticed, rise in ranks, BE the shogun. And take it all. :nutkick:

-I know that kinda stuff is big and hard to do but well i jsut ahd to get it out of me. Hell im sure someone has brought it up before. It would jsut be awesome, relaly if anything more than fighting battles and what not... i want the world to FEEL ALIVE! a real world ya know?
im hoping and guessing that Tatsumaki will have interactive and live npc's. like in FF10, or any other games where npc moves around and actually has something to do.

Thats what i can say, but theres more, more I say.

Xokken
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Yeah.. I would think wars would be a major part of the game.. it would be cool to seperate the provinces by landscape, like snow may cover one province, one may be more lush, and tropical.. and maybe have the landscape effect battle.. or maybe have certain equipment that would work better in some environments, so you could have an advantage in war.. or maybe you could choose were you're born, and have natural attributes for the landscapes, or the longer you spend in an area you gain attributes for the landscape, so you'll work.. and travel faster once you're used to your environment

Jin
09-07-2005, 06:25 PM
^ yea that's what I was thinking about, environmental attributes effecting the outcome of the battle would be awesome, I'd like to know how hard this would be to implement from a dev.

SunWuKong
09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
I want the corpses left on the field for a longer time.
Not just because it would be cool to get a screen shot :rolleyes: , but to add to the realistic feeling of the game.
Other games it just goes fight - die - poof - respawn. There is no connection with the world.
I'd like people to actually see the carnage - to have a chance to say "Holy Crap! This many people died? Those are some of my friends! That town just had all of its people killed. How many children don't have parents anymore? How many people won't be able to get food? Maybe this battle wasn't a good idea. Damn the Shogun and his unjust laws. Damn the Rebels and their zealous idealism."

I don't want to sensationalize war. I want the effects of war to be seen, and felt.
There should be more to it than a delay in playing time.

ToshiMaru
09-07-2005, 07:05 PM
this is when music also comes into play. it would be awesome when, someone gets within a circumference range of the battle field or area of the corpses, the music and themes change depending on the mood.

SunWuKong
09-07-2005, 07:31 PM
:(
So, we take the death and destruction and give it a kewl sound track?

(Kinda disturbed by the reply)

glowsticknation
09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
mood setting soundtrack is what i thought...

ToshiMaru
09-07-2005, 07:36 PM
no no no, i mean like, if battle is happening, then a type of loud drumming music. if dead bodies and etc. then more like a silent area, with a faded flute music - slow, sad type.

selmo
09-07-2005, 08:08 PM
VIVA LA RESISTANCE! is what id say to that sunwu

SunWuKong
09-07-2005, 08:29 PM
I get where you're coming from Toshi.
It just sounds like that would make it too much like a movie.
Some Spielberg/Howard-esque emotions-jerking tripe.

I could see the drums during battle. (Maybe some background shouts, weapon clashing, etc.) Something distant and subtle. There for game flavor, not to be intrusive.
After the battle, no music. If there was anything, maybe crows cawing, people screaming in pain, people crying. Again, distant and subtle.

People should be allowed to establish their own emotions.
That was horrible, I hope this never happens again.
That was great, look at all the carnage!

I feel that music could actually ruin the mood. It might contrast with a player's concept of their character's views on battle and death.

AAronB
09-08-2005, 01:24 AM
****.... Agreed Sunwu

Akinis
09-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Music in a game should always be ambient. Maybe some light music as you are entering a town, or more rowdy music as you pass by a bar / tavern. During battles, i think the thing that ruins many video games is that they play the same sound clip over and over. Considering in MMORPG's you fight alot, i tend to turn off the sound entirely, just to avoid the battle music. I personally like however, when you enter a new area, for some light music in the background, it really emphasizes that you have entered a new place.

Now, for some, battle music is desired. So if you include it in a game, there should be an option to turn off battle music / ambient music / all music etc. During battles, especially wars, the music should probably just be some drumming / battle horns / and maybe, like suggested earlier, a soft flute playing after the battle is commenced, for a short period.

however this should all be optional. I know that when i get into a fight, theres never any music, just alot of punching. Last time i drove into a town, there wasn't any music playing unless my car stereo was on.

For some, the music helps bring a sence of cinematics, for others, it lowers realism.

Aucillion
09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
In FPS (which are similar to fighter games or are them as this game will be) battle music is imperative to increased reflexes so you chop their head off not vice versa :)

Jin
09-09-2005, 03:23 PM
The music idea is a really good idea, it would add so much to the game. Others might feel otherwise, but not me, heh.

SunWuKong
09-09-2005, 07:46 PM
The music idea is a really good idea, it would add so much to the game. Others might feel otherwise, but not me, heh.Don't get me wrong - I definitely agree.

Akinis's post has many very good suggestions.
Especially 'off/on.'

Ranaru
09-24-2005, 12:58 AM
It'd be pretty awesome if you saw wounded soldiers, deserting their army, and prehaps you could hire them?

MattyQ
10-08-2005, 10:04 PM
It would be really interesting to see wars based on political strife in the country, outside of faction v faction. E.g. Forces moved against the peasantry for various reasons, and resulting political situations.

It would also be nice to see various positions available in a war, perhaps if the character were high-enough level, or if it were "family" based wars.

What I mean is, a position as a commander of the forces, with slots for strategists and subcommanders. I think strategy could be a really integral part of the war system on the MMO. It would add an element outside of repetitive head-on battles.

While I'm on it... if there were tactics available depending on the intelligence of your commander/strategist/subcommanders, such as use of fire, damming rivers and such... That kind of thing!

ToshiMaru
10-08-2005, 11:59 PM
i do know that this is going to be free for all game, then there might be more than just political wars. like, criminal wars, bounties, drug wars, gang wars, clans/families, rebelion, etc. etc.

selmo
10-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Pretty much i think strategy will come into play alot. since there are no set stats you need to be clever to win. Or have overwhelming numbers. But still a good strat can turn teh tides of anywar.

Legacy
10-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Very Nice Ideas Guys, And I am sure they look into it, but doesnt mean it will come out exactly as u described but in old games ive seen the army summoned and walk down the road, jus in 2d graphics :) but great idea

Tenshin
10-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Let me tell you why music is so important in a game. In life whe you're in an area, you smell the trees, hear the sound of the place, the wind, feel the air, smell the aroma, and combined it gives you a feeling of the place. Whether it's a warm peaceful feeling, or a cold chaotic one. In a game, a lot of those senses aren't used, touch, smell, taste. So you have to enrich the senses you do see. Exagerate the look of the place, excentuate the sounds you hear. Adding music coupled with emotional driving visuals is what makes a video game immersive.

In battle, I'd expect the area to be lower in contrast and somewhat duller in colours, the music, to give you a feeling of involvement, what you have to do, you should feel your honour, your anger toward the enemy and your will to take lives and server your lord. Taiko drums would be the greatest thing, but it must be well defined and hard to give you that feeling. To make music in a game, I think the music designer should spend some time in game, in that environment and notice the characteristics of it: is it warm or cool, peaceful or busy, what is the colour scheme, what is the mood. When the music artist takes all this into account, he/she will make a music that expresses all those feelings, adding to the colour, the tranquility or whatever.

When you listen to music without a video game, you can really feel it's inspiration. Add visuals to that, and some interactive environment, and you have a perfect soundtrack for a perfect game. Music is very important to a game, even if it's very light. It breathes life into it.

But yeah, back on topic. I notice Sykoi hasn't replied to this... That means they have a better idea.

Ihiyu
10-11-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm hoping for an epic feel to the battles--cinematic quality background, many combatants, banners flying, gore galore, and great sounds. However, when push comes to shove, I'll be happy with fun combat and low lag. The lag issue is a kicker, what with the player-skill component that is being planned for combat.

Bengrizzly
10-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Would be nice to Come accross some mongolians being fought off or somethin like that.

HajimeSaito
10-20-2005, 08:14 PM
I want the corpses left on the field for a longer time.
Not just because it would be cool to get a screen shot :rolleyes: , but to add to the realistic feeling of the game.
Other games it just goes fight - die - poof - respawn. There is no connection with the world.
I'd like people to actually see the carnage - to have a chance to say "Holy Crap! This many people died? Those are some of my friends! That town just had all of its people killed. How many children don't have parents anymore? How many people won't be able to get food? Maybe this battle wasn't a good idea. Damn the Shogun and his unjust laws. Damn the Rebels and their zealous idealism."

I am happy someone said that, not that I was going to but thats always been a problem with most MMORPG's, like Star Wars Galaxies, you kill a Krayt Dragon which happens to be one of the largest creatures in the game, BOOM 3 minutes later its gone, I mean what happened to it? Did someone move it? Was it really dead? Those things the developers of the game either do not think about or they just do not think it is that important of a topic.

SunWuKong
10-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks.
I wasn't proposing that the bodies stay there indefinitely.
In a human world, it is very easy to justify that the bodies were picked over by looters, buried by friends, eaten by animals, etc.
After a half game day (full day?), replace to bodies with grave markers (maybe 1/10 the number of bodies).
Some permanent reminder of what happened. Add the date the battle took place.
Something simple that would allow that area to be reused later.

Akoni Koukoheki
10-27-2005, 04:20 PM
off of the subject of music... what about battle reentry??? i know some games will automatically mark off a boundry for where the battle is going on and after so many deaths a PC cant go in that area.. how do you think the battle reentry should be played out? personally im not a big fan of instanceing

I am happy someone said that, not that I was going to but thats always been a problem with most MMORPG's, like Star Wars Galaxies, you kill a Krayt Dragon which happens to be one of the largest creatures in the game, BOOM 3 minutes later its gone, I mean what happened to it? Did someone move it? Was it really dead? Those things the developers of the game either do not think about or they just do not think it is that important of a topic.
a big reason they dissapear ids to help keep the world clean and not lagged up.. but i would like to see them last longer myself too

SunWuKong
10-27-2005, 08:02 PM
off of the subject of music... what about battle reentry??? i know some games will automatically mark off a boundry for where the battle is going on and after so many deaths a PC cant go in that area.. how do you think the battle reentry should be played out? personally im not a big fan of instanceing...Personally, I'd vote for no re-entry. Last team standing.
Battles shouldn't last too long, anyway. No 400hp characters with buffs and healing.
Would make people train harder. More of a role-playing, make yourself a legend aspect. If you want to stay alive, get better at combat. No people running around willy-nilly knowing that they can die 'countless' times and just jump in again later.

ShininShado
10-28-2005, 09:09 AM
I totally agree with the last statement. I think also, there should be big advantages for alliances and whole armies working as teams.

Mouko
11-15-2005, 09:29 PM
I agree with Sun Wu if someone just responded in the fray each time they respone and just do kamakazi runs into the enimies and try take some of them with him
if theirs no re entry it will for bravery disapline and risktaking it adds a great aspect to the game

Aucillion
11-15-2005, 09:51 PM
I agree with Sun Wu if someone just responded in the fray each time they respone and just do kamakazi runs into the enimies and try take some of them with him
if theirs no re entry it will for bravery disapline and risktaking it adds a great aspect to the game

if you are fighting for something say strategic it would be even better if their was only a certain amount of times it was vulnerable to be destroyed or be taken over that would give long roiling epic battles and if the defenders survive long enough they win the battle :)