[Q] Gender Option [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : [Q] Gender Option

ninjaxmaster
08-20-2005, 01:56 AM
What I'm wondering at this point is...

In the game, will you only be allowed to play as the gender you are, or can you create characters of the opposite gender.

I feel that it should be that you can only play as your gender (this would be done by only allowign the player to pick the gender they registered for the game with). 'Why?', you may ask, well, the answer is...

Sometimes male players will choose to play as a girl character because some gamers sometimes give free items and money to female players (for reasons unknown to me, some guys just need to get out more I think).

I do wish that some players wouldn't take advantage of the easily persuaded gamer-boys, as I sometimes prefer a girl character over a guy character, such as with archers and thieves, the female characters often appear more dextrous and agile (this rarely ever has an actual effect in any games, just the appearance suits the character better than a male and some games a job/class is only available for a certain gender). When playing as a female character I try to assure other players I'm just a guy, but sometmes they just won't believe...

Anyways, I was just pondering this recently...

glowsticknation
08-20-2005, 02:01 AM
i think it will be a decisions left on the hands of the player... because its incredibly focused on roleplay, you should be able to play that role... regardless of the reasons you do.

i personally don't like men who play women to rip people off, but its not their fault... its the guys who give them stuff... at the same time, i don't like it when men play women characters (i'll be honest, if its a girl i flirt... not for romantic pursuits, but just because its fun)... and i feel slightly... well... dirty... when i find out its really a man and didn't say anything... plus a wee-bit man, just because it was probably a big joke to them... moving on, its still my fault for doing so... so hindering people's chances because of the other gamer's wrong decisions shouldn't be done

Tenshin
08-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Well for women characters, if you're keeping true to Japanese history, there will be a LOT of limitations. But I would be willing to ignore that to see a little variety.

As for your little problem Glow, if you're roleplaying, it's the characters' interactions, and not your own personal ones. No dirtiness to feel there. I have no problem with men playing women characters, I have a few female characters. I don't tell people on the internet that I'm a girl though, that's just wierd.

Link293
08-21-2005, 10:15 AM
One thing you may want to keep in mind, is that women were very looked down upon during this era, and if we are trying to keep it traditional, a woman role player should have an incredibly hard time becoming anything other than a farmer or merchant. Such as, hide the fact that she is a woman to become any type of warrior.

Tenshin
08-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, I'm sure a woman could train in martial arts, and join certain dojos, but when it comes to taking missions and serving a lord, it would be rather difficult to get some slack there. But again, it's a game. I wouldn't complain if I'd seen female warriors running around Tatsumaki.

wicked
08-21-2005, 03:09 PM
I think that females charaters should have the same standing as the male charaters in the game.

Because if you give females charaters speciel skills more male players will play female charaters and will result in female players will play male charaters.

:eek: :lew: WICKED!

poporo
08-21-2005, 09:46 PM
maybe certain genders should have advantages?

glowsticknation
08-21-2005, 11:47 PM
i don't think that should be implimented... because alot of people have alot of different views on that and truth is hardly referenced in those views... in terms of abilities and such, everyone in the game should be equal... if some of the women want to roleplay as the role women actually played in that era, they should be able to... but there shouldn't be any incentives to play one gender over another

plus doing that could also cause community backlash at a later date... men storming the bastiles because women are better or vice versa

Leluu
08-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Quote from Hayashita Furanku (http://www.eoeforums.com/showpost.php?p=9714&postcount=4)
Thread "[Q] Sexual Equality"

If i'm not mistaken, this mmorpg takes place in the middle of the Sengoku "Warring States" period... so not only were women expected to manage households and finances while the men were off fighting, they were also called upon to fight when needed.

http://www.koryubooks.com/Library/wwj2.html

There had also been the traditional right of the woman to inherit property and manage it for herself... which goes as far back as the 12th century.

Either way, in this era of Japanese history, there are definitely important roles for women to play.

Quote from ODA-NOBUNAGA (http://www.eoeforums.com/showpost.php?p=9722&postcount=5)
Thread "[Q] Sexual Equality"

"Were there any female members of the privileged social category of buke (aka “samurai class” as it is casually and loosely defined in the Western world) in the Japanese history who also practiced and possessed established martial arts skills?"
"
"Yes, there were, in fact, many. Those female martial artists were called “onna bugei-sha.”

"Tomoe Gozen captured the city of Kyoto in Japan in 1584 after winning the Battle of Kurikawa. She was described as being a strong archer and excellent swordswoman."

"Hojo Masako (1157-1225), wife of Minamoto Yoritomo and known as the "nun shogun". In keeping with customs of the time, Hojo Masako became a Buddhist nun upon the death of her husband in 1199. After Yoritomo's death, Hojo Masako along with her father and son, usurped the real ruling power from her dead husband's ruling Minamoto clan to her own Hojo clan. Her efforts gave the Hojo clan true power over the now 'puppet regime' Minamoto clan."

"Female ninja were classified as part of the kamae of sui (water) and were cultivate to manipulate energy through preying on increased feelings of emotional satisfaction; like the ocean, they would draw out, only to come back, like a wave at riptide, in unexpected ways. these women, or kunoichi as they were called, were given special training in psychological skills and intuition. Taught to manipulate men high-up in the enemy hierarchy, they were known to conceal blades inside musical instruments and sex toys. Shimma kunoichi, ninja family members, were trained as spies who were taught not to fall in love with their targets or lose sight of their ultimate goal after successful seduction."

"The naginata is a Japanese curved spear. Since the 15th Century it has been the traditional weapon of ladies of the bushi class."

Kiros
08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
maybe certain genders should have advantages?
I agree with you as long as its not a BIG difference, cause women are naturally more agile and flexible, were as men are sometimes stronger.
But if it gets crazy then youll have people being male or female based on what they want to specialize in cause they are lazy, or want an edge on the other players.
for example, Mithra in FFXI had high agi and whatever, so I was one in order to be a better thief class. Really there is nothing wrong in my opinion about specializing. but I think since this is a game, it would be best to make it equal from the start. This way there isnt an overflow of one gender.

Leluu
08-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Same maximum stats/attributes but different starting stats/attributes? For example:
male = more constitution
female = more agility

Kiros
08-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Leluu Thats kinda what I was thinking, but i just dont know if we should do that.

ninjaxmaster
08-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Well, some women are going to be large and slow. So, if anything like that would be doe, it should be based upon the characters body type rather than their gender.

Kiros
08-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Well, some women are going to be large and slow. So, if anything like that would be doe, it should be based upon the characters body type rather than their gender.

HAHAAHAH ninja.. NEVER say a women is large.. lol omg.. anyway if it comes down to your better at certain things cause of your body type.. that could take some work to figure out.

Grun
08-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I wuld say you're taking it the wrong way. You don't base agility and such on gender. You base the body type on gender. And then you base agility and such on body type. If such an system will be implemented.

This means, a woman is more likely to be a body type which fits with (whatever), while a man is more likely to have a body type that is good for(whatever else).

glowsticknation
08-22-2005, 02:49 PM
i have to agree with a majority of the statements, but in all honesty women are the superior race in everyway i can think of... and i know people claim that men are stronger, but this is a falacy as well... although its a modern falacy and not a 16th japanese falacy, it could still cause some criticism...

im only proposing gender neutrality as a form of keeping the peace between women who want to play women and not have their population be muddied by 40% male population and men who want to be men, but not if it means losing abilities and strengths...

also, there is another falacy at work here... which is bigger = slower... in the case of machinery and such it is usually true, but in the body it all depends on what type of training you do more... you can build bulk and still be as nimble and agile as you were before...

that being said, i think body type and gender should be aesthetic and nothing more, but thats just my opinion... you guys go wild with it

Tenshin
08-22-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't think there should be a difference in stats or attributes, but in terms of what one could call themselves, there should be limitations for the women. Namely calling themselves Samurai and what not.

OmegaLord
08-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Woman noblemen where considered samurai aswell, altough it would be odd to see a woman carrying two swords at any time in Japan. The satus of samurai allowed the the right for example to commit sepukku, as I've seen in the book "Shogun", by James Clavell.
Noble woman could call themselves samurai, not in the way of being warriors, but that they would follow their masters will till the end, even if that meaned death.

Back on the topic, I tink that shouldn't be any difference bettwen genders abilities or capabilities, altough other fisical carateristics would have some effect on the people.

ninjaxmaster
08-22-2005, 04:34 PM
I wuld say you're taking it the wrong way. You don't base agility and such on gender. You base the body type on gender. And then you base agility and such on body type. If such an system will be implemented.

This means, a woman is more likely to be a body type which fits with (whatever), while a man is more likely to have a body type that is good for(whatever else).

that is what I was saying, I think...

If you base the body type on gender, then it would be like having all women dainty agile creatures and then the men would be large muscular hulks.

Where as in all reality, there are men who are equally as agile and dextrous as a woman. Likewise, there are also many women who are as strong as men if not stronger. Both genders could also be very round as well. So, in my oppinion sticking a body type to a certain gender will cause me to end up playing a female character, just because of their agile/dextrous bodies, this in-turn would make the game a little bit lesser, as it would be a) stereotyping body types of men and women b) limiting the character customizaton, and invidivuality so-to-speak, as the body type is available for one gender, I can only pick that character if I want that body type (reminds me of Knight Online, a poor quality MMO), this is usually the basic factor in my deciding if I'm going to have a girl or guy character. If multiple body types are made for each gender then myself, and possibly others, would be more likely to play as their own gender (not saying that it's wrong to play as the opposite gender, but, again, it's more realistic if you play as your own, and can make for awkward situations when people such as Glowsticknation go for some 'role-play' flirting :P ) .

selmo
08-23-2005, 12:22 PM
crossdressing lol thats what we need. Whats roleplaying without infiltrating someplace through crossdressing eh?

poporo
08-23-2005, 12:44 PM
i'd reply if my ramen wasn't burning atm. brb